Lassie (2005 film)
UK theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Charles Sturridge|
|Produced by||Charles Sturridge
|Written by||Charles Sturridge
|Based on||Lassie Come-Home
by Eric Knight
|Music by||Adrian Johnston|
|Edited by||Peter Coulson
|Distributed by||Roadside Attractions|
|Budget||$20 million |
Lassie is a 2005 British-American-French-Irish adventure comedy-drama family film based on Eric Knight's 1940 novel Lassie Come-Home about the profound bond between Joe Carraclough and his rough collie, Lassie. The picture was directed, written, and co-produced by Charles Sturridge and is a production of Samuel Goldwyn Films. The film stars Jonathan Mason and was distributed by Roadside Attractions and released in the UK on 16 December 2005. Filming took place in Scotland, Ireland and on the Isle of Man. The supporting cast features Peter O'Toole, Samantha Morton, Peter Dinklage, Edward Fox, and John Lynch. The film was generally reviewed positively by critics, but performed poorly at the box office.
Sam Carraclough, a miner who struggles to earn enough money to feed his family, sells the family's collie, Lassie, to the Duke of Rudling, leaving his young son heartbroken over the loss of his canine companion. The film follows Lassie on the collie's 500-mile journey from the Duke of Rudling's estate in the Scottish Highlands to the Carraclough home.
- Jonathan Mason as Joe Carraclough
- Peter O'Toole as The Duke of Rudling
- Samantha Morton as Sarah Carraclough
- John Lynch as Sam Carraclough
- Steve Pemberton as Hynes
- Hester Odgers as Cilla
- Jemma Redgrave as Daisy
- Peter Dinklage as Rowlie
- Edward Fox as Colonel Hulton
- Gregor Fisher as Mapes
- Kelly Macdonald as Jeanie
- Nicholas Lyndhurst as Buckle
- Mason (uncredited) as Lassie
- DR Dakota (uncredited) as action Lassie
This is the eleventh movie about Lassie, according to the producers. It is based on Eric Knight's 1940 novel Lassie Come-Home. Filming took place in Scotland, Ireland and on the Isle of Man.
The film earned $6,442,854 worldwide. The film-critics aggregator Rotten Tomatoes recorded 93% positive reviews from 70 critics, while the film scored of 84 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 15 reviews. A New York Times reviewer said the film "balances cruelty and tenderness, pathos and humor without ever losing sight of its youngest audience member" and also exclaimed, "This 'Lassie' exhibits a repertory of facial expressions that would put Jim Carrey to shame". Empire's Anna Smith wrote "Thanks to a relatively gritty setting and an estimable adult cast, this sentimental story is rendered bearable for adults and children alike." BBC's Neil Smith said, "The combination of everyone's favourite canine and eye-catching Irish and Isle of Man locations ensure this nostalgic shaggy-dog story sends you home with your tail wagging."
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards 2007
|Critics Choice Award||Best Family Film (Live Action)||Nominated|
Irish Film and Television Awards 2007
|IFTA Award||Best Sound in Film/TV Drama||Peter Blayney, Patrick Drummond, John Fitzgerald and Mervyn Moore||Won|
|Audience Award||Best Irish Film||Nominated|
Women Film Critics Circle Awards 2006
|WFCC Award||Best Family Film||Won|
Young Artist Awards 2007
|Young Artist Award||Best Performance in an International Feature Film and Best International Family Feature Film - Leading Young Actor or Actress||Jonathan Mason||Nominated|
- "Lassie (2006) - Box Office Flops". boxofficeflops.com.
- "Northern Classic Collies".
- "Thunder's Collies - Hall of Fame". DR Farms. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- Jeannette Catsoulis (2006-09-01). "The Noblest Collie of All Bounds Anew in the Glen". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "Lassie". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Lassie (2005)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Lassie". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Smith, Anna (2006-04-01). "Review of Lassie". Empire (Bauer Media Group). Retrieved 2009-08-31.
- Smith, Neil (2005-12-14). "Lassie (2005)". BBC. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Lassie: The Official Site
- Lassie at the Internet Movie Database
- Lassie at Rotten Tomatoes
- DR Dakota the action dog in Lassie 2005 film