Last Day of Freedom
|Last Day of Freedom|
|Directed by||Dee Hibbert-Jones|
|Produced by||Dee Hibbert-Jones|
|Written by||Dee Hibbert-Jones|
|Music by||Fred Frith|
Living Condition LLC
|April 11, 2015|
Last Day of Freedom is a 2015 American black and white and color animated short documentary film about racism, the US Criminal Justice System,and mental health issues. The documentary was well received by critics and earned numerous awards at various film festivals, and The International Documentary Association Best Short Documentary Award, at the 31st Annual IDA Documentary Awards. Last Day of Freedom was shortlisted with ten other documentaries from 74 entries submitted to 88th Academy Awards in Documentary Short Subject category, and eventually received a nomination in this category. In June 2016 the film won an Emmy Award for News and Program Specialty -Documentary-Topical, at the 45th Annual Northern California Area Emmy® Awards. The film was a finalist for a Documentary Short, 59th Cine Eagle Award.
Bill Babbitt supported the death penalty, until it came knocking at his door. Bill fondly recalls early life with his brother Manny, but a childhood car accident leaves Manny forever changed. Two tours in Vietnam only compound Manny’s mental health issues. After the war, bouts of paranoia leave him living on the streets. Concerned about his brother, Bill and his family invite Manny to come live with them in Sacramento. One day, however, Bill makes a shocking discovery that leaves him with an impossible choice: cover for his brother, or turn him in. Bill explores his attempt to do the “right” thing as familial bonds, mental illness and murder tug a close relationship in conflicting directions.
- Academy Awards – Best Documentary – Short Subject – Nomination
- 45th Annual Northern California Area EMMY® Award
- International Documentary Association – Best Short Documentary Award, 31st Annual IDA Documentary Awards 
- SIMA - Best Directors, Best Editing, & Stylistic Achievement Jury Prize Winner, 2017
- Finalist, Short Documentary, 59th Cine Eagle Awards
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
- Hamptons International Film Festival – Best Documentary Short Film sponsored by ID Films.
- Tallgrass Film Festival – Golden Strands Award, Outstanding Documentary Short Film.
- Dok Leipzig – International Competition Animated Documentary – Honorary Mention
- Bar Harbor Film Festival – Best Animated Documentary Short
- SF Doc Fest- Best Short Audience Award
- (In)Justice For All Film Festival – Justice Impact Award
- Atlanta Docufest – Best Experimental Documentary Short
- DC Independent Film Festival - Best Short Documentary 17
- "Short documentary about the death penalty garners Oscar buzz". Sarah. EJUSA. October 29, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "31st Annual IDA Awards". International Documentary Association. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "10 DOC SHORTS ON OSCAR'S 2015 SHORTLIST". Oscars.org. October 26, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Johnson, Zach (January 14, 2016). "Oscars 2016 Nominations: Complete List of Nominees". E! Online. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Last Day of Freedom". KQED Truly CA. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Documentary Awards: 'The Look Of Silence' 'Last Day Of Freedom', 'Listen To Me Marlon' Win IDA Nods". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Dee Hibbert-Jones and Nomi Talisman of "Last Day of Freedom" at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival". Jenelle Riley. Indiezone. October 14, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "The Full Frame Doc day 3 and 4". Film Babble. April 13, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "The Full Frame Documentary Film Festival has announced the 2015 festival award recipients. Full Frame is a qualifying event for consideration for nominations for both the Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject and The Producers Guild of America Awards". EDN. March 13, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Hamptons International Film Festival Announces 2015 Award Winners". Jenelle Riley. Variety. October 14, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Tallgrass Film Festival Announces 2015 Award Winners". Zack Sharf. Indiewire. October 20, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- "Preisträger | DOK Leipzig". www.dok-leipzig.de. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Bar Harbor Film Festival". Bar Harbor Film Festival. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "DocFest 2015 Award Winners Announced | SF IndieFest". sfindie.com. Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "(In)Justice For All Film Festival". (In)Justice For All Film Festival. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Dc Independent Film Festival". DCIFF. Retrieved 2016-05-03.