Last Hope (video game)
|Publisher(s)||NG:Dev Team (Neo Geo)
Neo Geo CD
July 10, 2006
Pink Bullets Neo-Geo
February 21, 2011
January 31, 2007
Pink Bullets Dreamcast
September 4, 2009
November 19, 2007
|Genre(s)||Shoot 'em up|
Last Hope is a single-player side-scrolling shoot 'em up video game for the Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, and Dreamcast systems. It was developed by German indie developer NG:Dev.Team in 2006. While the Neo Geo version was self-published, the Dreamcast version was released by redspotgames in January 2007, as an unlicensed title. In 2009 the Dreamcast version received a reprint in the form of a director's cut called Last Hope Pink Bullets. This edition features improved on screen visibility in comparison to its first print due to pink bullets etc. That and various other features make the game easier to allow a more accessible gameplay experience with emphasis on scoring.
An evil empire from another galaxy is heading towards Earth. Barely 24 hours beforehand, they had penetrated the last line of defense in Earth's galaxy, the Arsion Laser Belt. Millions of innocent people perished in outer space colonies. 70% of earth's fleet was destroyed during first contact. Intelligence reports six days until their arrival. Conventional weapons cannot stop them. The last hope is in your hands: The Z-42 Warpstar. Warp into their territories and destroy their leader before they reach Earth.
July 10, 2006 NGDT Produced 60 Units of the game for NeoGeo and sold it directly via their website. January 30, 2007 RedSpotGames published 2500 Units of the game (500 copies were reserved for sale with the limited edition)  May 3, 2007 The limited edition of Last Hope was released with 500 Vinyl Style Compact discs containing the soundtrack. November 19, 2007 NGDT Produced 500 units for NeoGeoCD  September 4, 2009 NGDT Produced 1000 Units of Last Hope Pink Bullets which were distributed Internationally by RedSpotGames.
As a response to criticism regarding the game's difficulty, the developer released an updated version titled Last Hope: Pink Bullets for the Dreamcast on September 19, 2009. This edition features improved on screen visibility in comparison to its first print due to pink bullets etc. That and various other features make the game easier to allow a more accessible gameplay experience with emphasis on scoring.
Only 60 copies of the Neo Geo AES version were produced, making this is an extremely rare and collectible title. Since that, and the high cost of producing the cartridges, the game was sold for €550 (around $730). It was only available from the developers.
In contrast, the Dreamcast version sells for $40, and the "Limited Edition" with bundled soundtrack CD was sold for $80. Van Basilco and Play-Asia were the only online stores approved to sell Last Hope for the Dreamcast. The Limited Edition was limited to only 500 units and is already a highly sought after item. It sold out 5 days after the release day and currently prices up to $259.
The game has been criticized for featuring very hard to distinguish enemy-bullets which are almost the same color as explosions/debris.
The NeoGeo CD version of this game features higher visibility due to pink colored bullets, which are better to distinguish between explosions/debris. In response to the criticism Last Hope Pink Bullets was released in 2009 for Dreamcast. The ratings range from 54% (MAN!AC, Germany) to 80% (GamesTM, UK) or second best score "good" (PC Action, Germany)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- [dead link]
- "LAST HOPE Pink Bullets - Official Web Site". Lasthope.ngdevteam.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "NG : DEV.DIRECT". Ngdevdirect.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Games". Ngdevteam.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Search for May 3rd "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "DCEmulation • View topic - Fast Striker - NG:DEV.TEAM's new NeoGeo shmup released !". dcemulation.org. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Redspot: The #1 Games Blog". redspotgames.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "shmups.system11.org :: View topic - New Neo-Geo shmup - Last Hope [also for DC]". Shmups.system11.org. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- DCS | Main / LastHope-DCS-Review browse Archived 2007-03-15 at the Wayback Machine.
- DCS | Main / LastHope-Daddelkingz-Review browse Archived 2007-03-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- "'Last Hope' Central thread - Page 7". Neo-geo.com. Retrieved 1 January 2018.