Last Look at Eden
|Last Look at Eden|
|Studio album by Europe|
|Released||September 9, 2009|
|Recorded||December 2008–February 2009 at the Bohus Sound Studios, Gothenburg; Playyard Studios and Studio 13, Stockholm|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues rock|
|Producer||Tobias Lindell, Europe|
|Singles from Last Look at Eden|
Last Look at Eden is the eighth studio album by the Swedish rock band Europe. It was released on September 9, 2009 in Sweden by Universal and was released on September 14, 2009 in the UK, by Edel Music's international rock music label earMUSIC.
|Sweden||September 9, 2009|
|United Kingdom||September 14, 2009|
|Germany||September 18, 2009|
|Japan||October 21, 2009|
The band has described it as a modern retro rock album. "This time, we're taking some new directions with our songs, and we're exploring different styles," they stated, "There is a definite classic rock vibe on some of the tracks... a tip of the hat to groovin', funkin' 70s rock songs - but ones we have brought into the here and now."
During an interview with the Chilean radio station Radio Universo, vocalist Joey Tempest said that "Last Look at Eden is more a Europe album than Secret Society and Start from the Dark. Last Look at Eden is a real Europe album." Drummer Ian Haugland said that Start from the Dark and Secret Society had led up to Last Look at Eden, and Tempest agreed, saying, "We had to make those two albums in order to do this."
"With the two first comeback albums [Start from the Dark and Secret Society], we were very focused on trying to modernise the sound," Tempest said in an interview with the British magazine Classic Rock, "This time we followed our hearts and soul. It's very classic-sounding and melodic. It's almost like we've gone full circle."
Europe premiered one of the album tracks, "Mojito Girl", on the Chilean tour in April 2009. Two other tracks, "Last Look at Eden" and "Gonna Get Ready", were premiered on a concert in Norway in May.
In May 2009 Europe went to Gothenburg to work with director Patric Ullaeus on the music video for the first single, "Last Look at Eden", which was released on June 8, 2009. The video was premiered on Europe's MySpace page on June 3. In August Europe went back to Gothenburg to work with Ullaeus on the video for the second single, "New Love in Town", which was released on September 3, 2009. The video was premiered on Europe's MySpace page on September 5.
The Last Look at Eden Tour started on November 7, 2009. Prior to this the band played at the Bloodstock Open Air festival in August 2009.
- "Prelude" [instrumental] (Joey Tempest, Mic Michaeli, Tobias Lindell) – 0:52
- "Last Look at Eden" (Joey Tempest, Andreas Carlsson) – 3:55
- "Gonna Get Ready" (Joey Tempest, Andreas Carlsson) – 3:35
- "Catch That Plane" (Joey Tempest) – 4:46
- "New Love in Town" (Joey Tempest, Mic Michaeli, Andreas Carlsson) – 3:33
- "The Beast" (Joey Tempest, John Levén) – 3:23
- "Mojito Girl" (Joey Tempest) – 3:44
- "No Stone Unturned" (Joey Tempest) – 4:48
- "Only Young Twice" (Joey Tempest, John Norum) – 3:51
- "U Devil U" (Joey Tempest) – 4:10
- "Run with the Angels" (Joey Tempest, John Norum, Mic Michaeli) – 4:03
- "In My Time" (Joey Tempest, Andreas Carlsson) – 6:15
Limited edition digipak bonus tracks
- "Yesterday's News" [live] (Joey Tempest, Kee Marcello, John Levén, Mic Michaeli, Ian Haugland) - 8:25
- "Wake Up Call" [live] (Joey Tempest, John Norum) - 4:25
Collector's edition bonus tracks
- "Sign of the Times" [live] (Joey Tempest)
- "Start from the Dark" [live] (Joey Tempest, John Norum)
Japanese edition bonus track
- "Scream of Anger" [live] (Joey Tempest, Marcel Jacob)
"You can always count on good ol' Europe to supply grandiose and bombastic rock of the highest order (did any song score higher on the "arena rock-o-meter" than "The Final Countdown" back in the '80s?)," argues Greg Prato of Allmusic. "Last Look at Eden sounds exactly as you would picture a Europe album to be in 2009 - for better of for worse," he concludes his 3/5 review.
"A band who divide opinion between those who understand and those who still associate them with one novelty hit, Europe are streets ahead of most melodic rock competition, their latest album simply offering more confirmation," argues Kerrang!'s Steve Beebee (3 out of 5 Ks).
- Joey Tempest – lead and backing vocals
- John Norum – guitars
- John Levén – bass
- Mic Michaeli – keyboards, backing vocals
- Ian Haugland – drums
- Additional personnel
- Titiyo – backing vocals on tracks 4, 7, 12
- Kleerup – backing vocals on tracks 4, 7, 8, 12 and backwards piano outro on track 4
- Andreas Carlsson - backing vocals on tracks 2, 3, 5
- Magnus Sjölander - percussion
- Czech National Symphony Orchestra
- Produced by Tobias Lindell and Europe
- Mixed and engineered by Tobias Lindell
- Mastered by Vlado Meller at Universal Mastering Studios, New York
- Recorded and mixed at Bohus Sound Studios, Gothenburg
- Additional production by Joey Tempest and Mic Michaeli
- Additional recordings at Playyard Studios, Stockholm by Per Stappe and Ronny Bernström; Studio 13, Stockholm by Marcus Englof
- Cover art
- Art direction and design by Dimitrios Dimitriadis at Nightshade Design Collective
- Band photos by Fredrik Etoall at Etoall Production
|2009||Swedish Album Chart||1|||
|UK Albums Chart||125|||
|French Record Charts||86|||
|Italian Album Chart||37|||
|Czech Album Chart||45|||
|German Albums Chart||31|||
|Belgian Albums Chart||89|||
|Swiss Albums Chart||29|||
|Japanese Albums Chart||66|||
- "Universal Music". universalmusic.se (in Swedish). Archived from the original on 2009-09-10. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- "EarMusic - Europe". noblepr.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Europetheband blog: Some answers...". europethebandblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- "Europetheband blog: New directions". europethebandblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- "Radio Universo - Europe: "El mejor público está aquí en Latinoamérica"" (in Spanish). universo.cl. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "Europe - The Swedes count down to lightening the heavy load at Bloodstock". Classic Rock (135). August 2009. p. 102.
- "Review: Europe en Santiago de Chile, Teatro Caupolicán" (in Spanish). chileanskies.com. Retrieved 2009-04-26.
- "Europetheband blog: NO SLEEP 'TILL SWEDEN ROCK". europethebandblog.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Europe in the Revolver Studio". revolver.se. Archived from the original on 2009-05-18. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Europe back to Gothenburg". revolver.se. Archived from the original on 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2009-08-30.
- "// Europe / New Love In Town Video // Van Europe Op Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. 2009-09-02. Archived from the original on 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Swedish album chart". sverigetopplistan.se. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- Last Look at Eden at AllMusic
- Beebee, Steve. Kerrang! #1278, September 12, 2009. Album reviews. "Stunning hard rock from one of the best bands in the business". p. 51
- "Chart Log UK Weekly Updates 2009 - CHART: CLUK Update 26.09.2009 (wk38)". zobbel.de. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- "Albums Nouveautés". disqueenfrance.com. Archived from the original on 2009-10-02. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "Classifiche Artisti-Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana". fimi.com. Archived from the original on 2010-02-08. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "IFPI ČR Hitparáda - TOP50 Prodejní Týden - 200939". ifpi.cz. Archived from the original on 2008-12-18. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "Media-Control Charts". viva.tv. Archived from the original on June 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "UltraTop Belgian Charts". ultratop.be. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "Schweizer Hitparade". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 2009-10-02.
- "アクセプトのCDアルバムランキング、アクセプトのプロフィールならオリコン芸能人事典-ORICON STYLE". Oricon.co.jp. Retrieved 2013-12-28.