Last Night at The Palais
|Last Night at The Palais|
|Live album by the Fall|
|Released||3 August 2009|
|Recorded||1 April 2007|
|Venue||Hammersmith Palais, London|
|The Fall chronology|
The recording has historic interest as this was the last concert to be put on at the Hammersmith Palais before it was closed. The band had already been booked to play the venue in support of their 27th studio album Reformation Post TLC in advance of the closure announcement.
In addition to group leader Mark E Smith, the band included his wife, Elena Poulou who sang lead on one track. The remainder of the band was quickly recruited from the West Coast of the US, as the previous line-up had been fired during an earlier tour. Guitarist Pete Greenway had spent time as a roadie and dep with the band before being promoted to full-time member for this release.
This release also includes a DVD which features the show filmed with Multi-cameras and 5.1 sound. The DVD also contains a bonus: the "Reformation" promo clip. The release features photos from the venue on the night of the show by photographer Jeff Higgott on the rear and inlay of the jewel case.
The Guardian's Ian Gittins said the line up was "the group's strongest incarnation in years". Record Collector thought the line-up was "the best of recent times", and enjoyed Smith's ad-libs, including a reference to Gary Lineker as the "man from Walkers".
- "Senior Twilight Stock Replacer" (Smith, Spurr)
- "Pacifying Joint" (Smith)
- "Fall Sound" (Smith, McCord, Barbato, Presley)
- "Over! Over!" (Smith)
- "Theme from Sparta F.C." (Smith, Pritchard, Watts)
- "Hungry Freaks, Daddy" (Frank Zappa)
- "Wrong Place, Right Time" (Smith, Poulou)
- "My Door Is Never" (Smith)
- "The Wright Stuff" (Smith, Poulou)
- "White Lightning" (J.P. Richardson)
- "Blindness" (Smith, Birtwistle)
- "Reformation!" (Smith, Barbato)
- Mark E. Smith – vocals, keyboards on "Blindness"
- Tim Presley – guitar, backing vocals
- Rob Barbato – bass guitar, backing vocals, keyboards on "The Wright Stuff"
- Dave Spurr – bass guitar
- Peter Greenway – guitar
- Elena Poulou – keyboards, lead vocals on "The Wright Stuff", backing vocals
- Orpheo McCord – drums, backing vocals
- Gittins, Ian (3 April 2007). "The Fall, Hammersmith Palais, London". Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "The Fall close Hammersmith Palais". New Musical Express. 2 April 2007.
- Kennedy, Jake. "The Fall – Last Night at the Hammersmith Palais". Record Collector. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Mark E Smith – A renegade's revival". The Independent. 2 April 2010. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- The Fall (April 1, 2007). Last Night at The Palais (concert film). Sanctuary Records. Online at YouTube (part 1/6). Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Last Night at the Palais". AllMusic. Retrieved 19 February 2015.