A condemned prisoner's last meal is a customary ritual preceding execution. Various countries have various traditions in this regard. A "little glass of rum," but no formal last meal, was granted to the condemned in historical France in the minutes before execution; no meal was offered as the condemned learned of their impending execution only on the fatal morning, generally just minutes in advance.
In many countries, the prisoner may, within reason, select what the last meal will be.
In the United States, most states give the meal a day or two before execution and use the euphemism "special meal". Alcohol or tobacco are usually denied. Unorthodox or unavailable requests are replaced with substitutes. Some states place tight restrictions. In Florida, the food for the last meal must be purchased locally and the cost is limited to $40. In Oklahoma, cost is limited to $15. In Louisiana, the prison warden traditionally joins the condemned prisoner for the last meal. On one occasion, the warden paid for an inmate's lobster dinner.
In September 2011, the state of Texas abolished all special last meal requests after condemned prisoner Lawrence Russell Brewer requested a huge last meal and did not eat any of it, saying he was not hungry. The meal consisted of two chicken-fried steaks with gravy and sliced onions; a triple-patty bacon cheeseburger; a cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and jalapeños; a bowl of fried okra with ketchup; a pound of barbecued meat with half of a loaf of white bread; three fully loaded fajitas; a pizza topped with pepperoni, ham, beef, bacon, and sausage; a pint of Blue Bell ice cream; a slab of peanut-butter fudge with crushed peanuts; and three root beers. The abolition followed a complaint by a Texas Senator, John Whitmire (Democrat, of Houston), who called the meal "inappropriate". The tradition of customized last meals is thought to have been established around 1924 in Texas.
Documented last meal requests
This represents the items reported requested but does not, in all cases, represent what the prisoner actually received.
|Name||Crime||Country||Year||Method of Dispatch||Requested Meal|
|Charles Peace||Serial killer||UK||1879||Hanging||A breakfast consisting of eggs and a large amount of salty bacon.|
|Fritz Haarmann||Serial killer||Germany||1925||Decapitation by guillotine||An expensive cigar and a cup of Brazilian coffee.|
|Peter Kürten||Serial killer/Rapist||Germany||1931||Decapitation by guillotine||Wiener schnitzel, fried potatoes and a bottle of white wine. He requested a second helping and received it.|
|Roger Casement||Treason||UK||1916||Hanging||Communion wafer. Casement converted to Catholicism before his execution and stated he intended to go "to my death with the body of my God as my last meal."|
|Name||Crime||Country||Year||Method of Dispatch||Requested Meal|
|Adolf Eichmann||Holocaust perpetrator||(German national) Israel||1962||Hanging||Declined a special meal, instead he requested a bottle of Carmel red wine with the usual prison food of cheese, bread, olives, and tea. He drank about half of the bottle.|
|Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran||The Australian ringleaders of the Bali Nine||Indonesia||2015||Firing squad||KFC. Although Indonesia does not normally grant last meal requests, Sukumaran and Chan were granted their KFC feast via officials.|
|Leo Echegaray||Rape of his 10-year old stepdaughter||Philippines||1999||Lethal injection||He ordered a last meal of sardines and dried fish. When the reprieve was announced, he shared the food with relatives who had gathered at the prison.|
|Mona Fandey||Murderer||Malaysia||2001||Hanging at Kajang Prison||Declined a last meal; she was instead given a dinner from KFC.|
|Saddam Hussein||Crimes against humanity||Iraq||2006||Hanging||The Times states that "he refused their offers of cigarettes and a last meal of chicken and shawarma rice." Other sources state Hussein ate his last meal of chicken and rice with a cup of hot water and honey.|
|Ajmal Kasab||Terrorist involved in the 2008 Mumbai attacks||India||2012||Hanging at Pune's Yerawada jail||Declined a last meal; he was given a basket of tomatoes and regular jail food.|
|John Martin Scripps||Serial killer||Singapore||1996||Hanging||A pizza and a cup of hot chocolate.|
|Cheng Chieh||Terrorist involved in the 2014 Taipei Metro attack||Taiwan||2016||Gunshot||Bento, consisting of stewed pork, rice and vegetables.|
|Arthur Lucas||Murderer||Ontario||1962||Hanging||Steak, potatoes, vegetables, and pie.|
|Ronald Turpin||Murderer||Ontario||1962||Hanging||Steak, potatoes, vegetables, and pie.|
|Name||Crime||State||Year||Method of Dispatch||Requested Meal|
|Adam Kelly Ward||Murderer||Texas||2016||Lethal injection||Beef soft tacos, Spanish rice, salsa, mixed greens, corn, refried beans, and flour tortillas with a choice of water, tea or punch to drink.(*)|
|Aileen Wuornos||Serial killer||Florida||2002||Lethal injection||Declined a special meal, but had a hamburger and other snack food from the prison's canteen. Later, she drank a cup of coffee.|
|Allen Lee Davis||Murderer||Florida||1999||Electrocution||350-pound "Tiny" Davis had one lobster tail, fried potatoes, a half-pound of fried shrimp, six ounces of fried clams, half a loaf of garlic bread, and 32 ounces of A&W root beer.|
|Alton Coleman||Spree Killer||Ohio||2002||Lethal injection||Well done filet mignon smothered with mushrooms, fried chicken breasts, a salad with French dressing, sweet potato pie with whipped cream, French fries, collard greens, onion rings, cornbread, broccoli with melted cheese, biscuits and gravy, and a cherry Coke.|
|Andrew Lackey||Murderer||Alabama||2013||Lethal injection||Turkey bologna, French fries, and grilled cheese.|
|Ángel Nieves Díaz||Murderer||Florida||2006||Lethal injection||Declined a special meal. He was served the regular prison meal for that day, but declined that as well.|
|Barton Kay Kirkham||Robber and murderer||Utah||1958||Hanging||Pizzas and ice cream, "because you get cheese, meat and everything in one meal. Not so much fuss."|
|Billy Ray Irick||Murderer||Tennessee||2018||Lethal injection||Irick consumed a final meal of a 'deluxe combo' meal consisting of a double patty bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce, tomato and pickles, a large order of onion rings, a large Coke with a wedge of lime, and an extra-large strawberry-banana milkshake.|
|Brian Steckel||Murderer||Delaware||2005||Lethal injection||Cheesesteak, coleslaw, and a Pepsi.|
|Bobby Wayne Woods||Murder, kidnapper and rapist||Texas||2009||Lethal injection||Two chicken fried steaks, two fried chicken breasts, three fried pork chops, two hamburgers with lettuce, tomato, onion and salad dressing, four slices of bread, half a pound of fried potatoes with onion, half a pound of onion rings with ketchup, half a pan of chocolate cake with icing and two pitchers of milk.|
|Bobby Joe Long||Serial killer||Florida||2019||Lethal injection||He requested roast beef, bacon, french fries and soda.|
|Brandon Astor Jones||Murderer||Georgia||2016||Lethal injection||Refused the option of choosing his last meal, so was given the standard issue menu of chicken and rice, rutabaga, seasoned turnip greens, dry white beans, cornbread, bread pudding and fruit punch.|
|Bruno Richard Hauptmann||Lindbergh kidnapping and murder||New Jersey||1936||Electrocution||Celery, olives, chicken, french fries, buttered peas, cherries, and a slice of cake.|
|Cal Coburn Brown||Murderer||Washington State||2010||Lethal injection||Combination meat pizza, apple pie, coffee, and milk.|
|Carey Dean Moore||Murderer||Nebraska||2018||Lethal injection||Pizza with bacon, beef, cheese and mushrooms, Pepsi, and strawberry cheesecake.|
|Christopher Brooks||Murderer, Rapist||Alabama||2016||Lethal injection||Two peanut butter cups and a Dr. Pepper.|
|Clarence Ray Allen||Proxy murderer||California||2006||Lethal injection||Buffalo steak, KFC, sugar-free pecan pie and sugar-free black walnut ice cream.|
|Charles Starkweather||Murderer||Nebraska||1959||Electrocution||Declined the usual steak dinner, asking for cold cuts instead.|
|Coy Wayne Wesbrook||Murderer||Texas||2016||Lethal injection||Baked chicken, mashed potatoes, country gravy, green beans, sliced bread, and mandarin orange cake with a choice of water, tea or punch to drink.*|
|Daniel Anthony Lucas||Murderer||Georgia||2016||Lethal injection||Meat pizza, steak and cheese calzone, stuffed Portobello mushroom, chef's salad with ranch and honey mustard dressings, and orange juice.|
|Danny Rolling||The Gainesville Ripper, serial murderer||Florida||2006||Lethal injection||Lobster tail, butterfly shrimp, baked potato, strawberry cheesecake, and sweet tea.|
|David Leon Woods||Murderer||Indiana||2007||Lethal injection||Birthday cake and pizza. He shared the meal with his family.|
|David Thomas Dawson||Murderer||Montana||2006||Lethal injection||Two double cheeseburgers, two large servings of French fries, a half gallon of vanilla fudge ripple ice cream, and two Dr. Peppers.|
|David Alan Gore||Serial killer||Florida||2012||Lethal injection||Fried chicken, french fries & butter pecan ice cream.|
|David Mason||Murderer||California||1993||Gas chamber||Declined a special meal, but chose to have some ice water while waiting in his cell.|
|Dennis Wayne Bagwell||Mass Murderer||Texas||2005||Lethal injection||Medium rare steak with A1 Steak Sauce, fried chicken breasts and thighs, BBQ ribs, French fries, onion rings, bacon, scrambled eggs with onions, fried potatoes with onions, sliced tomatoes, salad with ranch dressing, two hamburgers, peach pie, milk, coffee, and iced tea with real sugar.|
|Dennis McGuire||Murderer||Ohio||2014||Lethal injection||Roast beef, fried chicken, fried potatoes, a bagel with cream cheese, a Coca-Cola and butter pecan ice cream.|
|Desmond Keith Carter||Murderer||North Carolina||2002||Lethal injection||Declined a special meal, but had two cheeseburgers, a steak sub, and two Cokes from the prison canteen, for which he paid $4.20 from his prison account.|
|Dobie Gillis Williams||Murderer||Louisiana||1999||Lethal injection||Twelve chocolate bars and some ice cream.|
|Donald Edward Beaty||Murderer||Arizona||2011||Lethal injection||A beef chimichanga with salsa and guacamole, a double cheeseburger with all the fixings, fries, 14 ounces of rocky road ice cream, and a diet Pepsi.|
|Douglas Wright||Murderer||Oregon||1996||Lethal injection||One honey bun.|
|Edmund Zagorski||Murderer||Tennessee||2018||Electrocution||Pickled ham hock and pig tails|
|Edward Hartman||Murderer||North Carolina||2003||Lethal injection||A Greek salad, linguini with white clam sauce, cheesecake with cherry topping, garlic bread, and a Coke.|
|Earl Forrest||Murderer||Missouri||2016||Lethal injection||Steak, pasta, fruit plate, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, chocolate cake and milk|
|Edward Schad||Murderer||Arizona||2013||Lethal injection||A 12-inch meatball sub, a large order of french fries with ketchup, two ears of corn on the cob, two ounces of cranberry sauce, a slice of apple pie, and a vanilla milkshake.|
|Elijah Page||Murderer||South Dakota||2007||Lethal injection||Steak, jalapeño peppers with cream sauce, onion rings, a salad with cherry tomatoes, ham chunks, shredded cheese, bacon bits, and blue cheese and ranch dressing, coffee, lemon iced tea, and ice cream.|
|Eric Scott Branch||Murderer||Florida||2018||Lethal injection||T-bone steak, pork chop, fries, and two pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.|
|Eric Nance||Murderer||Arkansas||2005||Lethal injection||Two bacon cheeseburgers, french fries, two pints of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, and two Coca-Colas.|
|Eric Wrinkles||Mass Murderer||Indiana||2009||Lethal injection||Prime rib, a "loaded" baked potato, pork chops with steak fries, rolls and two salads with ranch dressing, served three days before execution because Indiana State Prison system found that condemned inmates tend to lose their appetite near the end.|
|Frank Spisak||Serial Killer||Ohio||2011||Lethal Injection||Spaghetti with light tomato sauce but no meat, tossed salad with Italian dressing, chocolate cake, coffee with cream and sugar and a root beer.|
|Francis Crowley||Murderer||New York||1932||Electrocution||Steak and onions, French fries, apple pie, ice cream and melted ice cream.|
|Frederick Treesh||Murderer||Ohio||2013||Lethal injection||Steak with mushrooms, eggs, hash browns, cottage cheese, onion rings, deep-fried mushrooms, a hot fudge sundae and sodas.|
|Gary Lee Davis||Murderer||Colorado||1997||Lethal injection||Chocolate and vanilla ice cream cups, shared with the prison superintendent and a manager.|
|Gary Gilmore||Murderer||Utah||1977||Firing squad||A hamburger, hard-boiled eggs, a baked potato, a few cups of coffee, and three shots of contraband Jack Daniel's whiskey.|
|Gary Michael Heidnik||Murderer||Pennsylvania||1999||Lethal injection||Two slices of a cheese pizza and two cups of black coffee.|
|Gary Carl Simmons, Jr.||Murderer||Mississippi||2012||Lethal injection||One Pizza Hut medium Super Supreme Deep Dish pizza with double portions of mushrooms, onions, jalapeño peppers, and pepperoni, a second pizza with three cheeses, olives, bell pepper, tomato, garlic, and Italian sausage, 10 8-oz. packs of Parmesan cheese, 10 8-oz. packs of ranch dressing, one family size bag of Doritos nacho cheese flavor, 8 oz. jalapeño nacho cheese, 4 oz. sliced jalapeños, 2 large strawberry shakes, two 20-oz. cherry Cokes, one super-size order of McDonald's fries with extra ketchup and mayonnaise, and two pints of strawberry ice cream. He consumed about half of the meal.|
|Gerald Lee Mitchell||Murderer||Texas||2001||Lethal injection||Assorted bag of Jolly Rancher candies |
|Gerald Stano||Serial killer||Florida||1998||Electrocution||Delmonico steak, a baked potato with sour cream and bacon bits, tossed salad with blue cheese dressing, lima beans, a half gallon of mint chocolate-chip ice cream, and 2 litres of Pepsi.|
|Gregory Paul Lawler||Murderer||Georgia||2016||Lethal injection||Ribeye steak, a baked potato with sour cream, asparagus, dinner rolls with butter, French onion soup, strawberries, pistachio ice cream, milk, and apple juice.|
|Gustavo Julian Garcia||Murderer||Texas||2016||Lethal injection||Chicken patties, macaroni & cheese, sweet peas, carrots, pinto beans, sliced bread, and a choice of water, tea or punch to drink.*|
|Hastings Arthur Wise||Mass murderer||South Carolina||2005||Lethal injection||Lobster tail, french fries, coleslaw, banana pudding and milk.|
|Harold McQueen Jr.||Murderer||Kentucky||1997||Electric chair||Two cheesecakes, shared with his attorney|
|Ignacio Cuevas||Perpetrator of the 1974 Huntsville Prison Siege||Texas||1991||Lethal injection||Chicken and dumplings, steamed rice, sliced bread, black-eyed peas, and iced tea.|
|James Otto Earhart||Murderer||Texas||1999||Lethal injection||Steak, french fries, and one vanilla milkshake.|
|James Edward Smith||Murderer||Texas||1990||Lethal injection||A lump of dirt, which was denied. He settled for a cup of yogurt.|
|James Hubbard||Murderer||Alabama||2004||Lethal injection||Two eggs over-medium, four pieces of bacon, sliced tomatoes, fried green tomatoes, pineapple slices with mayonnaise, white bread, a banana and a medium-sized V8 juice.|
|Jesse Mott||Killed a gas station owner||Texas||1934||Electric chair||Two pounds of sirloin steak, two pounds of cured ham, 12 fried eggs, 50 biscuits, two quarts of ice cream, two chocolate pies, and a gallon of lemonade.|
|Joe Arridy||Falsely accused of rape and murder. Posthumously pardoned in 2011||Colorado||1939||Gas chamber||Ice cream.|
|John David Duty||Murderer||Oklahoma||2010||Lethal injection||A double cheeseburger with mayonnaise, a foot-long hot dog with cheese, mustard and extra onions, a cherry limeade, and a large banana shake.|
|John Wayne Gacy||Serial killer||Illinois||1994||Lethal injection||A dozen deep-fried shrimp, a bucket of original recipe chicken from KFC, French fries, a pound of strawberries, and a bottle of diet Coke.|
|John Wayne Conner||Murderer||Georgia||2016||Lethal injection||10 pieces of fried catfish, 10 hushpuppies, 2 triple deluxe hamburgers with bacon, 2 pints of vanilla ice cream, and one sliced raw onion|
|John Joubert||Serial killer||Nebraska||1996||Electric chair||Pizza with green pepper and onions, strawberry cheesecake, and Coca-Cola|
|John Allen Muhammad||The Beltway Sniper, murder||Virginia||2009||Lethal injection||Chicken with red sauce and several cakes.|
|John Albert Taylor||Murderer||Utah||1996||Firing squad||Antacid medicine, a cigarette, and pizzas "with everything."|
|Joseph Paul Franklin||Serial Killer||Missouri||2013||Lethal injection||Declined the traditional last meal, but had a lunch of roast beef and potatoes.|
|Joseph Mitchell Parsons||Murderer||Utah||1999||Lethal injection||Three Burger King Whoppers, two large orders of fries, a chocolate shake, chocolate chip ice cream, and a package of grape Hubba Bubba bubblegum, to be shared with his brother and a cousin.|
|Joseph Taborsky||Spree Killer||Connecticut||1960||Electrocution||Banana split, cherry soda, coffee with cream and sugar, and a pack of cigarettes.|
|Juan Garza||Murderer and drug trafficker||U.S. Federal Government||2001||Lethal injection||Steak, French fries, onion rings, three slices of bread, and a soft drink|
|Karl Eugene Chamberlain||Murderer||Texas||2008||Lethal injection||A variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, cheese, lunch meat, deviled eggs, 6 fried cheese-stuffed jalapenos, a chef salad with ranch dressing, onion rings, french fries, a cheeseburger, 2 fried chicken breasts, barbecue pork rolls, an omelette, milk, and orange juice.|
|Keith Zettlemoyer||Murderer||Pennsylvania||1995||Lethal injection||Two cheeseburgers, fries, chocolate pudding and chocolate milk.|
|Lawrence Russell Brewer||Murderer||Texas||2011||Lethal injection||Two chicken fried steaks smothered in gravy with sliced onions; a triple meat bacon cheeseburger with fixings on the side; a cheese omelet with ground beef, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and jalapeños; a large bowl of fried okra with ketchup; one pound of barbecue with half a loaf of white bread; three fajitas with fixings; a Meat Lovers pizza; three root beers; one pint of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream; and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts. Brewer's request was granted, but he refused the meal when it arrived saying that he was simply not hungry, prompting Texas to stop granting last meal requests to condemned inmates.|
|Ledell Lee||Murdered his neighbor||Arkansas||2017||Lethal injection||Chose to receive Holy Communion as his last meal.|
|Leon Moser||Mass Murderer||Pennsylvania||1995||Lethal injection||A large cheese pizza, cheese slices, cold cuts, pasta salad, iced cup cakes and a 2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola.|
|Lowell Lee Andrews||Mass Murderer||Kansas||1962||Hanging||Two fried chickens with sides of mashed potatoes, green beans and Pie a la Mode.|
|Marcel Williams||Murderer||Arkansas||2017||Lethal injection||3 pieces of original recipe KFC fried chicken, banana pudding, nachos with chili cheese and jalapeño peppers, two 16 oz bottles of Mountain Dew, and potato logs with ketchup.|
|Marco Allen Chapman||Murderer and rapist||Kentucky||2008||Lethal injection||A 32-ounce medium rare sirloin steak, 20 butterfly shrimp, tossed salad with ranch dressing, iced tea, and a banana cream pie.|
|Marion Albert Pruett||Spree killer||Arkansas||1999||Lethal injection||A stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut, four Burger King Whoppers, a large order of French fries, three two-liter bottles of Pepsi, a bucket of ice, a bottle of ketchup, salt, fried eggplant, fried squash, fried okra, and a pecan pie. In an interview prior to his execution date, he said he was going to share his last meal with another inmate who was going to be executed the same day. He went on to say he originally wanted to have a roast duck for his last meal, but declined because he felt the prison wouldn't cook it.|
|Mark Dean Schwab||Murderer||Florida||2008||Lethal injection||Fried eggs (over easy), bacon, sausage links, hash browns, buttered toast, and a quart of chocolate milk.|
|Mark Hopkinson||Proxy murderer||Wyoming||1992||Lethal injection||Pizza, shared with his mother and other family members. He later asked for and received a fruit plate.|
|Martha Beck||Serial Killer||New York||1951||Electrocution||Fried chicken, fried potatoes and salad.|
|Michael Bruce Ross||Serial murder||Connecticut||2005||Lethal injection||Declined a special meal, but dined on the regular prison meal of the day: turkey à la king with rice, mixed vegetables, white bread, fruit, and a beverage.|
|Miguel Richardson||Murderer||Texas||2001||Lethal injection||A chocolate birthday cake with "2/23/90" written on top and 7 pink candles, one coconut, kiwi fruit juice, one mango, grapes, lettuce, cottage cheese, peaches, one banana, one apple, chef salad without meat and with thousand island dressing, fruit salad, cheese, and tomato slices|
|Oba Chandler||Murderer||Florida||2011||Lethal injection||Two salami sandwiches on white bread with mustard, peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich on white bread, iced tea and coffee.|
|Odell Barnes||Murderer||Texas||2000||Lethal injection||"Justice, Equality, World Peace."|
|Oscar Ray Bollin Jr||Serial killer||Florida||2016||Lethal injection||Medium rare rib eye steak, a baked potato with butter and sour cream, a salad made of iceberg lettuce, cucumber and tomato, baked garlic bread, lemon meringue pie, and a bottle of coca-cola.|
|Pablo Lucio Vasquez||Murderer||Texas||2016||Lethal injection||Salisbury steak, steamed rice, brown gravy, a vegetable blend, sweet peas, ranch style beans, sliced bread, and butterscotch brownies with a choice of water, tea or punch to drink.*|
|Paul Ezra Rhoades||Serial killer||Idaho||2011||Lethal injection||Hot dogs with sauerkraut, mustard, ketchup, onions, relish, baked beans, veggie sticks, ranch dressing, fruit with gelatin and strawberry ice cream cups|
|Perry Smith and Richard Hickock||Mass murders||Kansas||1965||Hanging||Shrimp, French fries, garlic bread, ice cream, and strawberries with whipped cream.|
|Peter J Miniel||Murderer||Texas||2004||Lethal injection||20 beef tacos, 20 beef enchiladas, two double cheeseburgers, a pizza with jalapenos, fried chicken, spaghetti with salt, half of a chocolate cake, half of a vanilla cake, cookies and cream ice cream, caramel pecan fudge ice cream, a small fruit cake, two Cokes, two Pepsis, two root beers, and two glasses of orange juice.|
|Philip Workman||Murderer||Tennessee||2007||Lethal injection||Declined a special meal for himself, but he asked for a large vegetarian pizza to be given to a homeless person in Nashville, Tennessee. This request was denied by the prison, but carried out by others across the country.|
|Rainey Bethea||Murder and rape||Kentucky||1936||Hanged, last person executed in public in the US||Fried chicken, pork chops, mashed potatoes, pickled cucumbers, cornbread, lemon pie, and ice cream.|
|Ralph Hudson||Murderer||New Jersey||1963||Electrocution||Prime rib steak, ice cream and a cigar.|
|Randy Greenawalt||Serial killer||Arizona||1997||Lethal injection||Two cheeseburgers, french fries with extra salt, coffee with milk.|
|Raymond Fernandez||Serial Killer||New York||1951||Electrocution||Onion omelet, french fries, chocolate candy, and a Cuban cigar.|
|Richard Albert Leavitt||Murderer||Idaho||2012||Lethal injection||Baked chicken, french fries, and milk.|
|Ricky Ray Rector||Murderer||Arkansas||1992||Lethal injection||Steak, fried chicken, cherry Kool-Aid, and a pecan pie. Rector, rendered mentally incapacitated by his suicide attempt after murdering a police officer, said that he did not eat the pie because he was "saving it for later".|
|Richard Cooey||Murder and rape||Ohio||2008||Lethal injection. Clemency appeal based on his being too overweight for lethal injection drugs to work on him properly||T-bone steak with A-1 sauce, onion rings, French fries, four eggs over easy, toast with butter, hash browns, a pint of rocky road ice cream, a Mountain Dew soft drink and authentic bear claw pastries |
|Robert Alton Harris||Murderer||California||1992||Gas Chamber||A 21-piece bucket of KFC, two large Domino's Pizzas (no anchovies), ice cream, a bag of jelly beans, a six-pack of Pepsi, and a pack of Camel cigarettes. The pizza was actually a Tombstone Pizza, per Vernell Crittendon's orders. Crittendon worked at the prison and was responsible for dealing with the condemned person before his execution.|
|Robert Anthony Buell||Murderer||Ohio||2002||Lethal injection||A single, unpitted black olive.|
|Robert Dale Conklin||Stabbed his gay lover with a screwdriver and dismembered the remains||Georgia||2005||Lethal injection||A filet mignon wrapped in bacon, de-veined shrimp sautéed in garlic butter with lemon, a baked potato with butter, sour cream, chives and real bacon bits, corn on the cob, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, French bread with butter, goat cheese, cantaloupe, apple pie, vanilla bean ice cream and iced tea.|
|Robert Glen Coe||Murderer||Tennessee||2000||Lethal injection||Fried catfish, white beans, hush puppies, coleslaw, french fries, pecan pie and sweet tea.|
|Robert Moorman||Murderer||Arizona||2012||Lethal injection||One double hamburger (two quarter-pound patties prepared “medium”) with two slices of onion, three leaves of lettuce, three tomato slices and a bun; plus French fries (with four ounces of ketchup), two three-ounce beef burritos, three Royal Crown colas, and two 14-ounce containers of Rocky Road ice cream.|
|Ronald Clark O'Bryan||Murderer||Texas||1984||Lethal injection||T-bone steak (medium to well done), French fries with ketchup, whole kernel corn, sweet peas, a lettuce and tomato salad with egg and French dressing, iced tea, sweetener, saltines, Boston cream pie, and rolls.|
|Ronnie Lee Gardner||Murderer||Utah||2010||Firing squad||Lobster tail, steak, apple pie with vanilla ice cream, and 7 Up. He also requested to watch The Lord of the Rings film trilogy while he ate his meal.|
|Ronnie Threadgill||Murderer||Texas||2013||Lethal injection||Baked chicken, mashed potatoes with country gravy, vegetables, sweet peas, bread, tea, water, and punch.*|
|Ruth Snyder||Murderer||New York||1928||Electrocution, photographed in the electric chair||Chicken Parmesan with alfredo pasta, ice cream, two milkshakes, and a 12-pack of grape soda.|
|Sacco and Vanzetti||Murderers (Case still open)||Massachusetts||1927||Electric chair||Soup, meat, toast and tea.|
|Stanley Allison Baker Jr||Murder and robbery||Texas||2002||Lethal injection||Two 16 oz. ribeyes, one pound of turkey breast sliced thin, 12 bacon strips, 2 large hamburgers with mayo, onion and lettuce, 2 large baked potatoes with butter, sour cream, cheese and chives, 4 slices of cheese or half a pound of grated cheddar cheese, chef salad with blue cheese dressing, 2 ears of corn on the cob, a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and 4 cans of vanilla Coke or Mr. Pibb.|
|Stephen Wayne Anderson||Murder||California||2002||Lethal injection||Two grilled cheese sandwiches, one pint of cottage cheese, a hominy-corn mixture, one piece of peach pie, one pint of chocolate chip ice cream, and radishes.|
|Steven Frederick Spears||Murdered his ex-girlfriend||Georgia||2016||Lethal injection||A large meat pizza|
|Steven Michael Woods, Jr.||Murderer||Texas||2011||Lethal injection||2 pounds of bacon, a large 4-meat pizza, 4 fried chicken breasts, 2 drinks each of Mountain Dew, Pepsi, root beer and sweet tea, 2 pints of ice cream, 5 chicken fried steaks, 2 hamburgers with bacon, french fries, and a dozen garlic bread sticks with marinara on the side.|
|Ted Bundy||Serial killer||Florida||1989||Electrocution||Declined a special meal, so he was given (but did not eat) the traditional steak (medium-rare), eggs (over easy), hash browns, toast, milk, coffee, juice, butter, and jelly.|
|Teresa Lewis||Proxy murderer||Virginia||2010||Lethal injection||Two fried chicken breasts, sweet peas with butter, a Dr Pepper and German chocolate cake for dessert.|
|Terry Douglas Clark||Murderer||New Mexico||2001||Lethal injection||Several jumbo shrimp, French fries, fried okra, peach cobbler, ice cream, and a Coke.|
|Terry Jess Dennis||Murderer||Nevada||2004||Lethal injection||Two cheeseburgers and a Coke with ice.|
|Thomas J. Grasso||Murderer||Oklahoma||1995||Lethal injection||Two dozen steamed mussels, two dozen steamed clams, a double cheeseburger from Burger King, half-dozen barbecued spare ribs, two strawberry milkshakes, half a pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and diced strawberries. He also had a 16-ounce can of spaghetti with meatballs, served at room temperature. However, he issued a public statement complaining that he had requested SpaghettiOs, not regular canned spaghetti.|
|Timothy McVeigh||Domestic terrorist/mass murder||U.S. Federal Government||2001||Lethal injection||Two pints of mint chocolate chip ice cream.|
|Velma Barfield||Murderer||North Carolina||1984||Lethal injection||Declined a special meal, having a bag of Cheez Doodles and a 12-ounce can of Coca-Cola instead.|
|Victor Feguer||Murderer||U.S. Federal Government||1963||Hanging||Requested a single olive with the pit still in it.|
|Wesley Baker||Murderer||Maryland||2005||Lethal injection||Breaded fish, pasta marinara, green beans, orange fruit punch, bread, and milk (this was what was on the prison menu that day).|
|Westley Allan Dodd||The Vancouver Child Killer, serial killer and child molester||Washington state||1993||Hanging||Salmon and potatoes.|
|William Bonin||Serial murderer and rapist||California||1996||Lethal injection||Two pepperoni and sausage pizzas, three servings of chocolate ice cream, and three six-packs of Coca-Cola and Pepsi.|
|William G. Zuern, Jr.||Murderer||Ohio||2004||Lethal injection||Mashed potatoes and gravy, lasagna, macaroni and cheese, corn, garlic bread, chocolate milk, and cherry cheesecake.|
(*) Texas abolished last meal requests in 2011, so all death row inmates in Texas after 2011 were given the same meal as everyone else in their unit.
- Lynn-George, Michael. "The Writing Lesson: From the Dragon's Teeth to Tristes Tropiques". The International Journal of the Humanities. 4 (8): 61–72. Retrieved 23 September 2011.
- "Death Row Fact Sheet". Florida Department of Corrections. Archived from the original on 12 June 2008. Retrieved 11 November 2007.
- "Last-meal requests come to an end on Texas death row". 23 September 2011.
- The Book of Lists #3. Bantam. 1983. pp. 85–87. ISBN 978-0-553-27868-2.
- Ward, Mike. "Last Meals for Condemned Cons Off Menu". Austin American Statesman.
- "Texas jails abolish last meals after uneaten banquet". BBC Online. 23 September 2011. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- Fernandez, Manny (23 September 2011). "Texas Death Row Kitchen Cooks Its Last 'Last Meal'". The New York Times. Retrieved 24 September 2011.
- "Last-meal requests off death row menu". 22 September 2011.
- The Book of Lists #3. Bantam. 1983. p. 85. ISBN 978-0-553-27868-2.
- "The Southeast Missourian - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com.
- The Book of Lists #3. Bantam. 1983. p. 86. ISBN 978-0-553-27868-2.
- "Roger Casement". 20 December 2010.
- "No Seconds". TIME Magazine. 23 May 1994. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- "Bali Nine executions: Families of Andrew Chan, Myuran Sukumaran say last goodbyes". News.com.au. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "Asia-Pacific – Philippines stay of execution welcomed". BBC News –.
- "Mona Fandey – A modern witchcraft murder". CapitalpunishmentUK.org. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Mona Fandey, hubby and assistant hanged". The Star (Malaysia). 3 November 2001. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Ned Parker and Ali Hamdani (1 January 2007). "How one mobile phone made Saddam's hanging a very public execution". The Times (UK). London. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Google. "Saddam Hussein Last Meal". Google.
- Shaikh, Asseem; Mihir Tanksale; Umesh Isalkar (22 November 2012). "Ajmal Kasab sang in cell the night before". Times of India. Pune. TNN. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "John Martin Scripps". Capitalpunishmentuk.org. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Pan, Jason (11 May 2016). "MRT murderer executed with appeal unheard". Retrieved 13 February 2018.
- "Last Meals on Death Row (2002)". Dead Man Eating. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- "Allen Lee "Tiny" Davis". Clark County Prosecutor. Retrieved 17 April 2008.
- "Last Meals on Death Row (2006)". Dead Man Eating. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- "Killer Calmly Goes To Death". The Florence Times. Associated Press. 7 June 1958. p. 1. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- "Clarence Ray Allen". Clark County Prosecutor. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "'Gainesville Ripper' Danny Rolling Executed". WESH. 25 October 2006. Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- "Gore executed, nearly 30 years after string of murders". Gainesville Sun. Retrieved 12 April 2012.
- "Dennis Wayne Bagwell". Clark County Prosecutor. Retrieved 3 July 2008.
- Josh Sweigart (15 January 2014). "Local killer orders roast beef, fried chicken for last meal before execution". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "Last Meals on Death Row (2003)". Dead Man Eating. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- "Wrinkles Awaits Death For Triple Murder". WRTV. 10 December 2009. Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- Ryckman, Lisa (14 October 1997). "Davis pays final price". Rocky Mountain News. Archived from the original on 17 June 2009. Retrieved 18 October 2010.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- John Peck (5 January 2006). "Last Meals". Tucson Weekly. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Katherine Ramsland. "Gary Gilmore: Death Wish". Crime Library. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Wolcott, Martin Gilman (1 January 2004). The Evil 100. Citadel Press. p. 286. ISBN 978-0-8065-2555-6. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- "Gerald Lee Mitchell". Clark County Prosecutor. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- Nick Collins (7 December 2010). "Last meals: weird requests on death row". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- Michael Griffin (23 March 1998). "Execution flurry begins". The Orlando Sentinel. p. 1. Retrieved 27 July 2017 – via newspapers.com.
- "Famous Death Row Last Meals". Huffington Post. 17 June 2011. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Final Meal Requests." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. 1 October 2003. Retrieved on 4 December 2010.
- ""Happiest Man" in death cell dies in chair". St. Petersburg Times. 7 January 1939. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- Murphy, Sean (17 December 2010). "Oklahoma executes man with new drug combination". The Oklahoman. Associated Press. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- Meserve, Jeanne; Mike M. Ahlers (11 November 2009). "Sniper John Allen Muhammad executed". Jarratt, Virginia: CNN. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
The lawyer said Muhammad's last meal was "chicken and red sauce, and he had some cakes.
- Hal Schindler (28 January 1996). "Taylor's Death Was Quick . . . But Some Weren't So Lucky". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
- Bryson, Amy Joi (14 October 1999). "Death wish Execution comes 12 years after murder at rest stop". Deseret News. p. 3. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- "Man Put to Death in Pennsylvania". San Francisco Chronicle. 3 May 1995. Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- Scott Lawrence (21 September 2011). "Lawrence Russell Brewer refuses to eat final meal". KFDM News. Archived from the original on 17 February 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Texas kills fancy last meal requests on death row". Reuters. 23 September 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- Kandra, Greg (22 April 2017). "Ledell Lee's last meal: Holy Communion". Aleteia. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- The Book of Lists #3. Bantam. 1983. pp. 86–87. ISBN 978-0-553-27868-2.
- "Michael Bruce Ross". Clark County Prosecutor. Retrieved 7 January 2010.
- "Final Meal Requests". Texas Department of Criminal Justice. 12 September 2003. Archived from the original on 2 December 2003. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Ashley Fantz (9 May 2007). "Killer orders pizza for homeless as last meal". CNN. Archived from the original on 15 May 2007. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- "Last Meals on Death Row (2007)". Dead Man Eating. Retrieved 12 August 2007.
- Ryan, Perry T. (1992). "24. Final Preparations for the Hanging". The Last Public Execution in America. Ryan, Perry T. ISBN 978-0-9625504-5-4. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- Revere, C. T. (23 January 1997). "Greenawalt executed for murders". Tucson Citizen. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Beam, Christopher. "Can a prisoner request anything for his last meal?". Slate. Retrieved 5 June 2010.
- "Richard Wade Cooey II #1124". www.clarkprosecutor.org.
- "Capital Punishment – Harris, Robert Alton". California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Archived from the original on 8 August 2007. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Lance Morrow (4 May 1992). "Television Dances With the Reaper". TIME Magazine. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Jonathan Kellerman, ed. (2008). "Dean of Death Row (by Tad Friend)". The best American crime reporting, 2008. New York: Harper Perennial. p. 143. ISBN 978-0-06-149083-5.
- Sanchez, Ray (18 June 2010). "Ronnie Lee Gardner Executed by Firing Squad in Utah". Good Morning America. pp. 1–4. Retrieved 18 June 2010.
- "Stephen Wayne Anderson". Clark County Prosecutor. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- Paula Tully Bryant. "Timeline: 1989 – A History of Corrections in Florida". Florida Department of Corrections. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Glod, Maria (23 September 2010). "Teresa Lewis pronounced dead by Va. authorities". The Washington Post. p. 2. Retrieved 23 September 2010.
- Schwartzman, Paul; Finnegan, Michael (20 March 1995). "Grasso Is Put To Death; Poem, Complaint His Final Words". New York Daily News. Retrieved 26 December 2009.
- Catherine Quayle (11 June 2001). "Execution of an American Terrorist". Court TV.
- Rita Cosby (12 June 2001). "Timothy McVeigh Put to Death for Oklahoma City Bombings". FOX News. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Schmidt, William (3 November 1984). "First Woman Is Executed in U.S. Since 1962". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- "Federal govt.'s last execution was in Iowa in 1963". USA Today. 20 June 2001. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- "Last Meals on Death Row (2005)". Dead Man Eating. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Egan, Timothy. "For First Time Since '65, A State Uses Its Gallows". The New York Times. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Mark Gribben. "William Bonin: The Freeway Killer". Crime Library. Retrieved 11 August 2007.
- Knafo, Saki (23 November 2011). "Texas Ends Last Meal Tradition For Death Row Inmates". Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- Treadwell, Ty and Vernon, Michelle (2011) Last Suppers: Famous Final Meals from Death Row
- Van Dülmen, Richard (1990). Theatre of Horror : Crime and Punishment in Early Modern Germany. Cambridge. ISBN 978-0-7456-0616-3.
- Foucault, Michel (1977). Discipline & Punish : The Birth of the Prison. ISBN 978-0-679-75255-4.
- Von Hentig, Hans (1973). Punishment – Its Origin, Purpose, and Psychology. ISBN 978-0-87585-147-1.
- Osler, Mark (February 2009). "Ch. 7: Last Meal / Last Supper". Jesus on Death Row: The Trial of Jesus and American Capital Punishment. Nashville, Tennessee: Abingdon Press. pp. 63–67. ISBN 978-0-687-64756-9.
- Jones, Michael Owen (2014). "Dining on Death Row: Last Meals and the Crutch of Ritual". The Journal of American Folklore. 127 (503): 3–26. doi:10.5406/jamerfolk.127.503.0003. JSTOR 10.5406/jamerfolk.127.503.0003.
- Greene, Bob (12 June 2001). They didn't get to choose their last meals. Jewish World Review. Retrieved on 2007-08-17.
- Karon, Tony (10 August 2000). Why We're Fascinated by Death Row Cuisine. TIME Magazine. Retrieved on 2007-08-17.
- Stein, Joel (18 October 2007). You Eat What You Are. TIME Magazine. Retrieved on 2007-11-11.
- Famous Last Meals. Portraits of Last Requests. Retrieved on 2010-09-17.
- Final Meal Requests. Texas Department of Criminal Justice (12 September 2003). Archived from the original on 2003-12-02. Retrieved on 2011-03-17.
- Last Meals. rotten dot com. Retrieved on 2007-08-17.
- Last Meals: What Would You Order? Seattle Weekly (18 June 2010). Retrieved on 2010-06-24.
- Last Meals on Death Row (since 2002). Dead Man Eating. Retrieved on 2007-08-17.
- Top 10 Death Row Last Meal Requests from Texas. Zombie Popcorn (9 October 2008) Retrieved on 2010-09-29.