Lateral cutaneous nerve of forearm
|Lateral cutaneous nerve of forearm|
Diagram of segmental distribution of the cutaneous nerves of the right upper extremity. Anterior view. ("Lat. antebrach. cutan." visible in purple.)
|Latin||Nervus cutaneus antebrachii lateralis|
|Anatomical terms of neuroanatomy|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2015)|
The lateral antebrachial cutaneous nerve (or lateral cutaneous nerve of forearm) (branch of musculocutaneous nerve, also sometimes spelled "antebrachial") passes behind the cephalic vein, and divides, opposite the elbow-joint, into a volar and a dorsal branch.
The volar branch (ramus volaris; anterior branch) descends along the radial border of the forearm to the wrist, and supplies the skin over the lateral half of its volar surface.
The nerve then passes downward to the ball of the thumb, where it ends in cutaneous filaments.
The dorsal branch (ramus dorsalis; posterior branch) descends, along the dorsal surface of the radial side of the forearm to the wrist.
It supplies the skin of the lower two-thirds of the dorso-lateral surface of the forearm, communicating with the superficial branch of the radial nerve and the dorsal antebrachial cutaneous branch of the radial.
- Medial cutaneous nerve of forearm
- Posterior cutaneous nerve of forearm
- Superior lateral cutaneous nerve of arm
||This section contains a gallery of images.|
- Lateral_antebrachial_cutaneous_nerve at the Duke University Health System's Orthopedics program
- lesson2superficveinsupperlimb at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University), lesson5nervesofpostforearm at The Anatomy Lesson by Wesley Norman (Georgetown University)
- EatonHand ner-097
- Anatomy figure: 06:03-08 at Human Anatomy Online, SUNY Downstate Medical Center - "Cutaneous nerves of the upper extremity."
- Hand kinesiology at the University of Kansas Medical Center
|This neuroscience article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|