Latin Christian music
Latin Christian music (Spanish Musica Cristiana Latina) is a subgenre of Latin music and Contemporary Christian music. Christian music is well established in Latin America's Evangelical churches, but is also popular with the majority Roman Catholic community. Both the Latin Grammy Awards and Latin Billboard Music Awards have Christian music categories, (e.g. Latin Grammy Award for Best Christian Album (Spanish Language)), though the markets are often underestimated due to lack of reporting.
Latin American artists
Notable artists include Brazilian singer Ana Paula Valadão, Panamanian pioneer Santiago Stevenson (d. 2007), Jaime Murrell, Luis "Funky" Marrero, Puerto Rican rapper in the genre of Hip-Hop and Reggaeton Christian music, Venezuelan pop singer José Luis Rodríguez, Daniel Calveti and Christian Sebastia, Mexican singer-pastors Jesús Adrián Romero, Marcos Witt, and Armando Flores, and singers Alejandro Alonso (musician), Marco Barrientos, Ecuador's Paulina Aguirre, Salvadorian Álvaro Torres, Colombia's Alex Campos, Alexis Peña and Ericson Molano, and Mexican band Rojo. Other artists include Samuel Hernández, Roberto Orellana, Annette Moreno, and Pentecostal singers like Daniela G Mangrum.
American Latin artists
Spain and Portugal also have their own local Christian music artists. Notable in Portugal is Catholic priest Padre José Luis Borga.
- Latin America evangelist Latin America Mission - 1993 "But few dispute the impact of today's changing Latin Christian music. The link between spiritual life and song is well-established in Latin America's evangelical churches."
- Billboard - 29 Mar 2003 - Page 21 Vol. 115, No. 13 "Although Latin Christian music is emerging as a force to be reckoned with in the marketplace (it will be the subject of a ... Although Latin Christian music would benefit from major distribution, it involves striking a delicate balance ..."
- Billboard - 26 Jun 1999 - Page 49 Vol. 111, No. 26 "Musica Cristiana Latina LATIN CHRISTIAN MUSIC The combination of the two fastest growing forms of popular music in the US: Christian Music ... Latin Christian Music breaks into the LATIN MARKET"
- Billboard - 31 May 2003 - Page 48 Vol. 115, No. 22 "In Puerto Rico, for example — a big market for Latin Christian music — only one indie retailer reports to Nielsen SoundScan. In addition, many indie labels and artists do not use UPC codes and do not register their product, ..."
- Have You Listened to Hispanic Christian Music Lately? Andree Farias CCM Magazine
- June 5, 2008 Latin Christian Songwriters Shine At BMI Showcase at Christian Music Conference Expolit "BMI hosted a Latin Christian music showcase at this year’s Expolit conference at the Sheraton Hotel Miami Mart in Miami on May 19. Expolit is an international Christian music conference serving the Hispanic community. Performing at the showcase were Christian pop/gospel artist Paulina Aguirre, acoustic singer/songwriter Promissa, pop singer/songwriter Omar Salas, alternative rock act Dexios, contemporary Christian artist Xavier Alexander, Christian pop act Blest and Christian pop artist Jon Montalban."