Laura Amy Schlitz
|Laura Amy Schlitz|
|Born||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Occupation||Writer, and Lower School Librarian at Park School|
|Alma mater||Goucher College|
2013 Splendors and Glooms
She received the 2008 Newbery Medal for her children's book entitled Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village, and the 2013 Newbery Honor for her children's book, Splendors and Glooms. Her other published books are The Hero Schliemann: The Dreamer Who Dug For Troy (2006), A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama (2006), which won a Cybils Award that year, The Bearskinner: A Tale of the Brothers Grimm (2007), The Night Fairy (2010), and The Hired Girl (2015).
Schlitz attended Goucher College in Towson, Maryland, and graduated in 1977.
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies!
Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village comprises more than twenty one-person plays and two two-person plays. The 10- to 15-year-old characters all live in or near a 13th-century English manor.
The book was awarded the 2008 Newbery Medal for excellence in children's literature.
Splendors and Glooms
The main character, rich girl Clara Wintermute, lives with her parents in a wealthy section of London. Her greatest wish for her birthday is for the puppet troupe she saw in a park one day to perform for her and her party guests. So the puppet master, Grisini, and his assistants, 14-year-old Lizzie Rose Fawr and 12-year-old Parsefall Hooke, visit the Wintermute home and put on their show. Then, not long after they visit, young Clara goes missing. Alleged kidnappers demand ransom from her parents, and Clara's father, Dr. Wintermute, brings the ransom to the appointed place, but the kidnapper never shows up. Meanwhile, an old witch is using her magic to summon Grisini to her estate near Lake Windermere. All of the children's lives soon become entangled with Grisini; the witch, Cassandra; and the Wintermutes. And all the while, Clara is being hidden in plain sight.
The book was awarded the 2013 Newbery Honor for excellence in children's literature.
List of Published Books
- A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama (2006), Cybils Award winner
- The Hero Schliemann: the dreamer who dug for Troy (2006), (illustrated by Robert Byrd)
- The Bearskinner: a tale of the Brothers Grimm (2007), retold by Schlitz, (illustrated by Max Grafe)
- Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village (2007), Newbery Medal Winner (illustrated by Robert Byrd)
- The Night Fairy (2010), (illustrated by Angela Barrett)
- Splendors and Glooms (2012), Newbery Honor Winner
- The Hired Girl (2015)
Schlitz also wrote A Gypsy at Almack's, an adult romance novel, under the name of Chloe Cheshire.
- "2008 Newbery Medal and Honor Books". ala.org. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "2013 Newbery Medal and Honor Books". ala.org. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! List of Contents". lccn.loc.gov. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- "Park School's FACA". parkschool.net. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Splendors and Glooms - Book Review". www.commonsensemedia.org. Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- Baltimore Sun article about 2008 Newbery Medal at the Wayback Machine (archived October 10, 2008)
- Park School article about 2013 Newbery Honor
- Miss Erin's 2007 interview with Schlitz