Laura Maria Fernandez (born 1960 on 20 May) is a Canadian singer-songwriter, pianist, Latin-musician, music producer, painter, illustrator, designer, radio host/producer for Jazz FM91, and real estate agent. Fernandez was born in Madrid, Spain, and is based in Toronto, Canada. In 2003, Fernandez was named Best Soft Rock musician at the New York International Independent Music Festival. She is currently the host of Café Latino on JazzFM91 (formerly CJRT), Toronto, and her Latin-music was produced by Billy Bryans.
Fernandez was born in Madrid, Spain. She moved from Madrid to Switzerland. She moved to Calgary, Alberta, Canada with her family. Her father was an engineer, writer and a painter. In grade 7 she studied piano at The Royal Conservatory of Music. Her native language is Spanish language and learned English upon moving to Canada, as well as some French and Portuguese.
She graduated from the Alberta College of Art and Design with Honours (1983). She met artist Rick Jacobson while in college. They married and moved to Toronto, Ontario. They started their own business: Jacobson Fernandez Illustration and Design.
Fernandez became a professional illustrator in 1980. She illustrated for commercial companies and children's books. She has done work for E.D. Smith, Loblaws, Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Foster's Lager, and Publix. She painted the Maple leaf logo for Air Canada. Fernandez also created the painted trillium used on the Ontario Driver's License.
Fernandez has done illustrations for children's book like Jeremiah Learns to Read, Picasso Soul On Fire, Anne of Green Gables, and The Magnificent Piano Recital. She has also produced work for Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies, Richard Francis Burton, Bill Gates, Sr., David Thomson, and Christopher Ondaatje.
Fernandez has won awards with Rick Jacobson, including the Toronto Art Director's Awards, Communication Arts Magazine's Award of Excellence, the Ruth Schwartz Award, and the Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award gold medal for illustration from the Canadian Library Association for the Magnificent Piano Recital in 2001.
Fernandez started song writing when she was 12, writing in Spanish. Fernandez won the Best Soft Rock Award at the International Independent Music Festival in 2003. She released her first album, The Other Side, in 2003. She hosted an open mic night from 2003 to 2008.
In 2008, Fernandez started as radio host for Cafe Latino on JazzFM91. She released a Latin music album in 2010 called Un Solo Beso, which was produced by Billy Bryans. She continues to perform live.
Laura Fernandez has released two independent albums, "The Other Side" a mix of pop-rock and one Spanish single, and her Latin release "Un Solo Beso".
- 2003 – The Other Side (Independent)
- 2010 - Un Solo Beso (Independent)
- . Library and Archives Canada data at VIAF.org. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- . Library of Congress data at LCCN.loc.gov. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- HackMatack Literary Arts Awards Canada author and illustrator bio for Soul On Fire, Laura Fernandez and Rick Jacobson illustrators of Picasso Soul On Fire artist bios on HackMatack awards website.
- REM Monthly article by Susan Duran "Life’s an adventure for multi-tasking Laura Fernandez", Laura Fernandez featured in REM Monthly.
- CBC Billy Bryans Testimonial, Billy Bryans Testimonial.
- Tandem Magazine Funny Girls and Divas fundraiser article, Laura Fernandez music produced by Billy Bryans.
- Beach Metro Community News, Laura Fernandez bio in Beach Metro News.
- OaC announces Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz award winners Archived 2014-02-22 at the Wayback Machine., Laura Fernandez and Rick Jacobson announced as Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz award winners.
- Can Lit Awards recipients Archived 2013-06-28 at Archive.is, The Magnificent Piano Recital illustrated by Laura Fernandez and Rick Jacobson Can Lit Awards listing.
- Ann Stinner U of Manitoba CM Magazine review of Picassio Soul On Fire.
- Canadian Library Association literary awards list Archived 2012-09-22 at the Wayback Machine., Picasso Soul On Fire illustrated by Laura Fernandez and Rick Jacobson shortlisted for the 2005 Amelia Francis Howard-Gibbon Award.
- Royal Geographical Society Picture Library online Archived 2015-09-03 at the Wayback Machine., Rick Jacobson and Laura Fernandez commission for Christopher Ondaatje's book 'Sindh Revisited' donated by C. Ondaatje.
- Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz award winners Archived 2014-02-22 at the Wayback Machine., Laura Fernandez and Rick Jacobson Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz award winners.
- Laura Fernandez in Maisoneuve Quarterly feature, Laura Fernandez Maisoneuve Feature.
- Canadian World Music, Laura Fernandez Canadian World Music Festival List.
- Laura Fernandez as part of Hugh's Room Jazz Series, Singer's Jazz Series.
- The Scene Magazine announces 2013 Winter Folk lineup, Laura Fernandez showcase at the Winter Folk Festival.
- WinterFolk, Laura Fernandez assisting WinterFolk.
- Good Life Magazine article Mississauga’s Carlos Bastidas gathers Top Musicians for the G.T.A.’s Hottest New Music Festival by Cristina Kerr, Laura Fernandez one of the headliners at the Pan American Latin Jazz Festival.
- Nazareth, Errol (February 11, 2011). "Always on the go". Toronto Sun. p. 75.
- Official website (primarily as musician)
- Laura Fernandez at Jazz FM 91, where she is radio host
- Laura Fernandez as realtor
- Jacobson Fernandez Illustration and Design (archived 2014-12-20)
- Works by Laura Fernandez and Rick Jacobson in WorldCat library records
- Laura Fernandez at Library of Congress Authorities, with 12 catalogue records (under 'Fernández, Laura' with diacritic and without '1960–', previous page of browse report)