|Full name||Laura Nicole Geitz|
4 November 1987 |
Ipswich, Australia
|Height||185 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|School||The Scots PGC College|
|University||Queensland University of Technology|
|Playing position(s): GK, GD|
|Last updated: 15 October 2015|
Laura Geitz (born 4 November 1987) is an Australian netball player and former captain of the Australian national team. Geitz was selected for the 2008 Australian national team, and has won a silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games , a Gold medal at the 2011 World Netball Championships and a Gold Medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games as captain. In domestic netball, Geitz plays for the Queensland Firebirds in the ANZ Championship. She previously captained the AIS Canberra Darters in the Commonwealth Bank Trophy.
In 2011, Geitz played a major rolefor the Queensland Firebirds to not only win the ANZ Championship undefeated. In addition, Geitz was part of the Diamonds squad for the 2011 Netball World Championships in Singapore. Although Geitz did not play as Goal Keeper in the first half against New Zealand (Susan Fuhrmann played Goal Keeper for the first half), her impact helped recover a six-goal deficit to force the match into overtime. This move proved to be successful as the Diamonds prevailed over their rivals in a one-goal victory.
Geitz was honoured with the Liz Ellis Diamonds Award in 2011. She has 32 Test Caps for Australia.
In 2013, she led the Australian team for the first time, winning the Constellation Cup against New Zealand. In 2014, Geitz was named captain of the Australian Netball Team to compete at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Under her captaincy the team defeated the New Zealand National Netball Team in the gold medal match, ending Australia's 12-year gold medal drought at the Commonwealth Games. In 2015, Geitz captained the Queensland Firebirds to the championship, winning over the New South Wales Swifts to secure the ANZ Championship for that season.
- "Laura Geitz". netball.com.au. Netball Australia. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Walsh, Gerard (2005-11-08). "Laura Geitz makes it three years in a row". Warwick Daily News. Retrieved 2008-05-20.[dead link]
- Somervail, Jemma (2007). "Laura Geitz on Fire". QUT Student Guild Sport. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- "Youth replaces experience for Aus netball". ABC News. 2007-12-10. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- 2009 Queensland Firebirds profile Archived 16 September 2009 at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved on 2009-03-14.
- "Laura Geitz gives birth to baby boy". Courier Mail. News Corporation. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- Diamonds regain edge over New Zealand. 3 News NZ. 8 October 2013.