Laura Moriarty (poet and novelist)
Laura Moriarty (born April 8, 1952) is an American poet and novelist.
Life and work
Moriarty was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, grew up on Cape Cod in Massachusetts and has lived in Northern California since 1966. She attended Sacramento State University and the University of California at Berkeley in the 70s. She was married to the poet Jerry Estrin until his death in 1993, and is currently married to the poet/librarian Nick Robinson.
Moriarty was the Archives Director for the Poetry Center and American Poetry Archives at San Francisco State University from 1986-1997. She received a Poetry Center Book Award in 1984 for Persia. She has also been awarded a Gerbode Foundation grant, a residency at the Foundation Royaumont in France, a New Langton Arts Award in Literature and a grant from the Fund for Poetry. Moriarty has taught at Mills College, and Naropa University, among other places, and is currently deputy director of Small Press Distribution in Berkeley, California.
List of publications
- Two Cross Seizings. Sombre Reptiles, 1980.
- Persia. Chance Additions, 1983.
- Duse. Coincidence Press, 1987. (reprint: Paradigm Press, 2000)
- like roads. Kelsey St. Press, 1990. ISBN 0-932716-24-5
- Rondeaux. Roof Books, 1990.
- L'archiviste. Zasterle Press, 1991.
- Symmetry. Avec Books, 1996.
- Spicer's City. Poetry New York, 1998.
- The Case. O Books, 1998.
- Cunning, a short novel. Spuyten Duyvil, 1999.
- Nude Memoir. Krupskaya, 2000.
- Self-Destruction. Post-Apollo Press, 2004.
- Ultravioleta, a novel. Atelos, 2006.
- A Semblance: Selected and New Poems, 1975 - 2007. Omnidawn Publishing, 2007.
- An Air Force. Hooke Press, 2007.
- A Tonalist. Nightboat, 2010. ISBN 978-0-9822645-6-0
- Laura Moriarty's A Tonalist Notes: Poetics Politics Prosody Poetry
- Bio of Laura Moriarty at the Electronic Poetry Center, SUNY Buffalo
- Laura Moriarty at Rain Taxi Book Festival
- Publisher page for Laura Moriarty's A Semblance
- Review of Laura Moriarty's An Air Force and A Semblance at Ron Silliman's Blog
- Review of Laura Moriarty's A Semblance at Publishers Weekly
- Review of Laura Moriarty's novel Ultravioleta at Publishers Weekly
- Laura Moriarty: Video and Links At the Omnidawn Publisher's Blog
- A Tonalist Thinking essay
- (Dis)solution a poem from A Tonalist
- Review of Ode by Ilya Kutik at the Wayback Machine (archived March 23, 2003) Moriarty's reviews of Kutik's Ode (translated by Kit Robinson)