|Occupation||Author, playwright, humorist|
|Known for||Former columnist for The New York Times|
|Beginner’s Luck, Buffalo Gal, Life in New York|
Laura Pedersen is an American author and playwright. She worked at American Stock Exchange before writing her first book, Play Money.
Early life and education
Pedersen is the only child of John and Ellen Pedersen. She grew up in Amherst, New York, and studied finance at the Stern School of Business in New York City. She worked as a clerk at the American Stock Exchange when she was 18, and had a seat on the exchange at age 20, at that time the youngest person to do so. She received an honorary doctorate degree from Canisius College in 2013.
In 1991 Pedersen and F. Peter Model wrote a book, Play Money, about her time at the American Stock Exchange. She was a columnist for The New York Times from 1995 to 2002. In 2001–2002 she hosted a finance show, Your Money & Your Life, on the Oxygen channel.
Pedersen has received various awards, including:
- Eric Hoffer Award, honorable mention for Buffalo Gal, 2009
- Seven Sisters Book Award for Life in New York, 2015
- Play Money (1991)
- Buffalo Gal: A Memoir (2008) ISBN 1555916929
- Buffalo Unbound: A Celebration (2010) ISBN 1555917356
- Planes, Trains, And Auto-Rickshaws: A Journey Through Modern India (2012) ISBN 155591618X
- Life In New York: How I Learned To Love Squeegee Men, Token Suckers, Trash Twister, and Subway Sharks (2015) ISBN 1936218151
- Going Away Party (2001) ISBN 1586540106
- Beginner’s Luck (Book One in The Hallie Palmer Series) (2003)
- Last Call (2003) ISBN 0345461916
- Heart’s Desire (Book Two in The Hallie Palmer Series) (2005) ISBN 0345479556
- The Big Shuffle (Book Three in The Hallie Palmer Series) (2006) ISBN 0345479564
- Best Bet (Book Four in The Hallie Palmer Series) (2009) ISBN 1440170177
- Fool’s Mate (2011) ISBN 1463652887
- Unplugged: Ella Gets Her Family Back (2012) ISBN 9780884483373
- Ava’s Adventure (2014) ISBN 9780884483885
- Wanda’s Better Way (2017) ISBN 9781682750148
- For Heaven’s Sake!
- A Dozen Perfect Moments
- Living Arrangements
- This Will All Be Yours
- The Brightness of Heaven
- "Wall Street player learns some tough lessons from the market". Chicago Tribune.
- Wickstrom, Susan. "Win Some, Lose Some". Willamette Week. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Rue, Diane La. "Bitter, cold upbringing makes author tough". Auburn Citizen. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Youngest trader reveals life in the pit". Washington Post.
- "Buffalo's Bishop, Best-Selling Author, Journalist Serve as Commencement Speakers". Canisius College. Canisius College Spring 2013 Magazine. Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- "Laura Pedersen to address graduate class of 2013". Canisius College News. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- Laura Pedersen, F. Peter Model (1991). Play money: my brief but brilliant career on Wall Street. New York: Crown Publishers.
- "The New York Times - Search". www.nytimes.com. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Home Sweet Hotel". New York Times.
- "Your Money & Your Life". Oxygen Channel TV Guide.
- "Eric Hoffer Book Award Winners". Eric Hoffer Award official website.
- "Laura Pedersen a finalist for Seven Sisters Book Award". The Author's Guild. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- "Life In New York: How I Learned to Love Squeegee Men, Token Suckers, Trash Twisters, and Subway Sharks". Goodreads.
- "Book Review - LANES, TRAINS, AND AUTO-RICKSHAWS". Kirkus Reviews.
- "Author Laura Pedersen Tackles the Highs and Lows of Life in New York". High-brow magazine. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "New Books on the City After War and After Buffalo". New York Times. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Book review - Going Away Party". Publisher's Weekly.
- "Beginner's Luck book review". Publisher's Weekly.
- "Book review - Wanda's Better Way". Kirkus Reviews.
- "Theatre". West Seneca Bee.
- "The Lilly 3: Weekly Play Selections Featuring Female Theater Artists at their Best". The Lily Awards. Retrieved December 23, 2014.