Education and career
Person completed her Ph.D. in mathematics at the University of California, Santa Barbara in 1988. Her dissertation, A Piece-Wise Linear Proof That The Singular Norm Is The Thurston Norm, concerned the Thurston norm, an invariant of three-dimensional spaces; it was supervised by Martin Scharlemann. She joined the faculty at SUNY Potsdam in 1989. At Potsdam, she is also the academic coordinator for volleyball.
Person is the co-author of the textbook Write Your Own Proofs In Set Theory and Discrete Mathematics (Zinka Press, 2005). The book's other co-author, Amy Babich, is a Texas-based mathematician, local politician, novelist, and recumbent bicycle seller.
In 2008, Person won the Clarence F. Stephens Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching of the Seaway Section of the Mathematical Association of America. She was named as a Distinguished Teaching Professor and a member of the SUNY Distinguished Academy in 2016.
- "SUNY Potsdam Professor Named to Distinguished Faculty Ranks", News and Events, State University of New York at Potsdam, November 10, 2016, retrieved 2018-02-18
- Laura Person at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Dr. Laura Person", Potsdam Bears, State University of New York at Potsdam, retrieved 2018-02-18
- Hamblin, James (February 2006), "Write Your Own Proofs In Set Theory and Discrete Mathematics", MAA Reviews
- Introducing Amy, retrieved 2018-02-18
- Clarence F. Stephens Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching (PDF), MAA Seaway Section, retrieved 2018-02-18