Laura Ricciardi is an Emmy Award winning American filmmaker, producer and editor. Ricciardi rose to prominence with her documentary Making a Murderer which she co-directed with filmmaker Moira Demos, in a process that took 10 years to complete.
Education and early career
Ricciardi holds a JD from New York Law School and an MFA in film from Columbia University School of the Arts. Her thesis film was recommended for a National Board of Review student award. In 2007, she received a filmmaking grant from The Peter S. Reed Foundation.
Prior to working in film, Ricciardi worked as a lawyer.
Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos met while graduate students in Columbia University's film program in 2005. The two learned about Steven Avery, a convict in Wisconsin released due to DNA evidence, only to be accused of another crime, after reading an article in the New York Times. Both thought the case could make for an interesting documentary. Before meeting with Netflix, the company that ultimately chose to produce the series, Demos and Ricciardi met with executives at PBS and HBO, but neither network was interested in the project.
Ricciardi went on to win three Emmys for her work on Making a Murderer: Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series, Outstanding Directing For Nonfiction Programming, and Outstanding Writing for Nonfiction Programming all three of which she shared with Moira Demos.
- Berger, Laura. "DOC NYC 2015 Women Directors: Meet Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos - 'Making a Murderer'". Indiewire. Indiewire. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- Joyce, Jason. "Q&A: Attorney Dean Strang still haunted by aspects of the Steven Avery case". Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- Murphy, Mekado (December 19, 2015). "Behind 'Making a Murderer,' a New Documentary Series on Netflix". The New York Times. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- "Making a Murderer". Metacritic. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- Travers, Ben. "'Making a Murderer' Season 2 Slipped Because Reality Ruins the Documentary, Even as It Makes Fiction Believable". Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- Murphy, Mekado. "Behind 'Making a Murderer,' a New Documentary Series on Netflix". New York Times. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
|This article about a United States film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|