|Education||M.F.A., University of Washington|
|Notable works||Practice, Restraint and My god is this a man|
Laura Sims is an American poet. She is the author of four books of poetry: Staying Alive (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2016), My god is this a man, Stranger, and Practice, Restraint (Fence Books). In 2014, powerHouse Books published Fare Forward: Letters from David Markson, compiled and edited by Sims. She has published five poetry chapbooks, including POST- (Goodmorning Menagerie, 2011). Her poetry has appeared in numerous literary journals, including Aufgabe, Black Clock, Black Warrior Review, Colorado Review, Columbia Poetry Review, Crayon, and Denver Quarterly, among others. She has published book reviews and essays in Boston Review, New England Review, Rain Taxi, and The Review of Contemporary Fiction. Her honors include the 2005 Fence Books Alberta Prize for Practice, Restraint and a Creative Artists Exchange Fellowship from the Japan-US Friendship Commission in 2006.
Sims is a graduate of the College of William and Mary. She received a Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of Washington. She is a professor of creative writing, literature and composition who currently teaches at New York University in the School for Continuing and Professional Studies. She has been a featured writer for Harriet, the Poetry Foundation's blog, and she is a co-editor of Instance Press with poets Elizabeth Robinson, Beth Anderson, and Susanne Dyckman. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.
- Staying Alive (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2016)
- My god is this a man (Fence Books, 2014)
- Stranger (Fence Books, 2009)
- Practice, Restraint (Fence Books, 2005)
- Fare Forward: Letters from David Markson (powerHouse Books, 2014)
- Excerpt from Staying Alive on Omniverse blog
- Excerpt from Staying Alive in Gulf Coast
- Excerpt from Staying Alive in Black Clock
- Interview with Tyler Malone on Full Stop
- Conversation with Cathy Wagner in The Conversant
- Interview with Joseph Massey on Studio One blog
- Spotlight on Coldfront
- Interview with Kate Greenstreet on kickingwind
- Tarpaulin Sky review of My god is this a man
- Rain Taxi review of My god is this a man
- The Volta review of My god is this a man
- New York Times review of Fare Forward
- Chicago Tribune review of Fare Forward
- Winnipeg Review review of Fare Forward
- Bookslut review of Stranger
- Coldfront review of Stranger
- HTMLgiant review of Practice, Restraint
- Laura Sims' official website
- Profile page on "Harriet," the literary blog of the Poetry Foundation
- Author Archive on "Harriet"
- Ugly Duckling Presse Page for Staying Alive
- Fence Books Author Page
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-01-26.