|Publisher||Les Éditions des Intouchables|
|January 17, 2007|
When Côté was 12, her novel was published. The book was launched with a lot of publicity because of the author's age. The author initially stated that she secretly wrote the book between mid-October 2005 and mid-June 2006 and corresponded with a friend.
On March 13, 2007 the French-language newspaper La Presse published an article noting a list of similarities between Laura l'immortelle and the film Highlander; La Presse editor Nathaëlle Morissette discovered that the novel had similarities to the film, with one editor saying that the similarities were "a little troubling."
A Frenchman named Frédéric Jeorge received a copy of the book, and he found that almost all of the book was a copy of "Des cendres et du vent," a Highlander fan fiction written by Jeorge that was available on the Internet around 2001 to 2002. After being confronted, Côté admitted that she plagiarized the fan fiction, and presented it as an original work.
Jeorge received $4,500 as compensation from the publisher, and Michel Brûlé, the owner of the publishing company responsible for the publication of the book, said that Côté's parents also had to pay $24,469.32 as compensation to the publisher. Laura l'immortelle had about 5,000 copies printed.
- "Laura l''immortelle (Paperback)." Amazon.ca. Accessed October 16, 2008.
- (French) "LAURA L'IMMORTELLE."[dead link] Les Éditions des Intouchables. Accessed October 16, 2008.
- (French) Larochelle, Claudia. "Romancière à 12 ans." Le Journal de Montréal at Canoe. February 2, 2007.
- "Artists split on election." The Montreal Gazette. March 18, 2007. Retrieved on November 13, 2010.
- (English) Charlebois, Gaetan L. (Freelance) "Artists split on election: France, Quebec split on the thong thing." The Gazette (Montreal). Sunday March 18, 2007. Final Edition. Arts & Life, Chaud Show, A22. Available on LexisNexis.
- (French) "Une Québécoise de 12 ans, Marie-Pier Côté, fait paraître un roman jeunesse." Nouvelles Télé-Radio/The Canadian Press. via Radioactif.com. Thursday January 18, 2007.
- (French) Morissette, Nathaëlle. "Le roman de Marie-Pier Côté largement inspiré d'Highlander. La Presse. March 13, 2007.
- (French) Morissette, Nathaëlle. "Laura l'immortelle : Marie-Pier Côté admet le plagiat." La Presse. March 22, 2007.
- (French) "Plagiat aux Intouchables." Canadian Broadcasting Corporation at Radio-Canada.ca. March 22, 2007. Retrieved on November 13, 2010. "Il s'est engagé à verser à Frédéric Jeorge toutes les recettes du livre. Il veut aussi que les parents de Marie-Pier Côté lui remboursent les 24 469,32 $ de frais de production du roman, tiré à 5000 exemplaires."
- (French) "Les nouvelles artistiques L'auteur Frédéric Jeorge touchera une compensation pour son livre copié."[dead link] TQS. Accessed October 23, 2008.
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- (French) article by Le Canal Nouvelles
- (French) Copier-coller aux Intouchables - La Presse
- (French) Une triste histoire - La Presse
- (French) Il manquait Marie-Pier Côté, accusée de plagiat
- (French) Un premier roman jeunesse
- (French) Pisser dans tous les coins
- (French) TQS news segment "Les intouchables... touchés"
- (French) De cendres et de vent - Frédéric Jeorge