Warners End Road
|Motto||Libertas Per Cultum|
|Department for Education URN||146440 Tables|
|Principal||Mr M. Singh|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Houses||Zeus, Apollo, Hera, Athena|
|Colour(s)||Blue, White, Black|
Laureate Academy is a secondary school in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. The Principal is Mr M. Singh. The academy was launched in September 2018 on the site of The Cavendish School. Laureate Academy is part of Future Academies, a Multi-Academy Trust.
The previous school was officially opened in 1962 as one of the first of the new breed of post-war technical grammar schools. Initially, it was run along very traditional lines by the founding Headmaster, Arthur Hayward.
In 1968 the school pioneered a system of learning away from traditional subject structure: the new intake that year studied 'Inter-disciplinary Enquiry' (IDE) for the first two years in place of English, Geography, History and Science. Mathematics and languages were taught separately. IDE was very quickly seen as a 'conspicuous failure'.
The 1969 intake was the last grammar year, and from 1970 the school became a comprehensive. Arthur Hayward moved to Bodmin School the following year.
Arthur Hayward died in June 2010 and tributes were published in the local newspaper.
Girls: black trousers or skirt; white blouse; blue blazer with a crest; and a striped tie.
Boys: black trousers; white shirt; blue blazer with a crest; and a striped tie.
- Andy Cooper, Editor from 2004-15 of BBC Look North (North East and Cumbria), and Head of News from 1993-2004 of Meridian Television
- Colin Edwin, bass guitarist with Porcupine Tree
- Jonny Phillips (actor), played Charles Lightoller in Titanic
- Dan Sarginson, rugby player
- Claire Skinner, actress
- David Vanian, (David Lett), lead singer of The Damned
- Steven Wilson, musician
- Harry Winks, footballer
Cavendish Grammar School
- Alan Lee (cricket writer), racing correspondent from 1999-2015 for The Times
- Jo Shapcott, poet, winner of the National Poetry Competition in 1985 and 1991
- Maggie Snowling, psychologist
- "Laureate Academy". Future Academies. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- Hemel Hempstead Gazette Abstract[permanent dead link]
- Bull, G.B.G. (1968) 'Inter-Disciplinary Enquiry: A Geography Teacher's Assessment'
- Newspaper tributes to Arthur Hayward
- Andy Cooper