This article may contain improper references to self-published sources. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|1 Lyman Circle
Shaker Heights, Ohio, (Cuyahoga County) 44122
|Area trustee||Elizabeth A. Embrescia, Chair, Laurel School Board of Trustees|
|Head of school||Ann V. Klotz|
|Average class size||36|
|Campus||Two Campuses: Lyman and Fairmount http://www.laurelschool.org/page.cfm?p=515|
|Color(s)||Green and White |
|Slogan||Laurel School, where girls Dream.Dare.Do.|
|Song||Alma Mater: http://www.laurelschool.org/page.cfm?p=914|
|Accreditation||Independent School Association of the Central States, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
Laurel School is a private school for girls in kindergarten through grade 12, located in Shaker Heights, a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. The school has a coeducational pre-primary program. Laurel’s mission statement is to “inspire each girl to fulfill her promise and to better the world."
Laurel School has two campuses - the Lyman Circle Campus 11 acres (45,000 m2) in Shaker Heights, and the Fairmount Campus, 140 acres (0.6 km2) in Russell Township. The Fairmount Campus features extensive athletic facilities and opportunities for outdoor education and leadership-building programs.
Laurel School's suburban Lyman Campus in Shaker Heights, Ohio, is home to an impressive brick Tudor revival building featuring over 180,000 square feet (17,000 m2) of networked space, a 4,300-square-foot (400 m2) multipurpose room, a newly renovated 340-seat Chapel and performance stage, science labs, computer labs, art studios and a ceramics studio, a digital art lab and photography darkroom, music rooms, a dance studio, two libraries, two gymnasiums and a fitness room, outdoor playing fields, courtyards and gardens.
Laurel's 140-acre (0.6 km2) Fairmount Campus, includes 1,800 square feet (170 m2) of lodge space, a 3,200-square-foot (300 m2) covered octagonal pavilion, a 2,600-square-foot (240 m2) residence, a fully accessible Magic Tree House, inspired by the Magic Tree House series of children's books, and an adventure course with both high and low elements. The newest addition to the campus is a 16,000 sq ft (1,500 m2). Fairmount Center for Fitness and Wellness.
The 15 acres (61,000 m2) acres of groomed athletic fields host soccer, field hockey and softball. Eight tennis courts, a quarter mile all-weather track, approximately three miles of walking trails, plus ponds and streams round out the amenities.
- Donna Ferrato - photojournalist
- Susan Crile - artist
- Christine Chubbuck - broadcast journalist
- Natalie Babbitt - author and illustrator
- Mary Ellen Beck Wohl - physician, Boston Children's Hospital
- Priscilla Tyler - educator and specialist in Aboriginal art
- Kay Chorao - author and illustrator
- Kathleen Sullivan - nuclear disarmament activist and educator
- Roopal Patel - physician, President's Anti-Malaria Initiative in Rwanda
- Grace DeCicco - Women's Professional Soccer
- Amanda Cinalli - Women's Professional Soccer player for Atlanta Beat
- Tiffany Laufer - filmmaker
- Dare Wright - children's author
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 16, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-17.