This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Laurelhurst is a residential neighborhood in Seattle, Washington, USA. It is bounded on the northeast by Ivanhoe Place N.E., beyond which is Windermere; on the northwest by Sand Point Way N.E. and N.E. 45th Street, beyond which are Hawthorne Hills, Ravenna, and University Village; on the west by Mary Gates Memorial Drive N.E., beyond which is the East Campus of the University of Washington; on the southwest by Union Bay; and on the east by Lake Washington. Seattle Children's Hospital is located in its northwest corner. The area has been a part of Seattle since 1910.
Laurelhurst has had several famous residents, including Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas, who rented a house on the waterfront one summer while filming a movie; Gary Larson, creator of The Far Side, who lived in Laurelhurst before moving to Windermere; musician Duff McKagan, bassist for Guns N' Roses; and Bill Gates, who was born in Laurelhurst and lived in a waterfront house in the neighborhood until about 1994.
The name Laurelhurst dates from between 1906 and 1909, when Joseph McLaughlin and R.F. Booth, incorporated under the name McLaughlin Realty Company, acquired property from several owners in the already established areas of Scottish Heights and Yesler Village. They established a new plat, introduced the new name, brought in water, electricity, and sewer services, but failed to attract a streetcar line.
Laurelhust is home to Laurelhurst Elementary School, Villa Academy, an independent grade school, the Wu Hsing Tao School, and the Seattle Midwifery School.
- Landmarks Alphabetical Listing for L Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine., Seattle Department of Neighborhoods. Accessed online 13 July 2008
- Valarie Bunn, "The McLaughlin Realty Company (The Earl J. McLaughlin Plat in Wedgwood)", Wedgwood Echo (Seattle), Volume 26, Issue II, March 2011, p. 3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laurelhurst, Seattle, Washington.|
- HistoryLink - A Thumbnail History of Laurelhurst
- Laurelhurst Community Club
- Seattle Parks & Recreation - Laurelhurst Community Center
- Seattle City Clerk: Laurelhurst neighborhood
- Laurelhurst Beach Club
- Laurelhurst Elementary School