|Born||Lauren Danielle Drain
December 31, 1985 
Tampa, Florida, United States
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States of America|
|Other names||Lauren Kagan|
|Education||B.S., Nursing (Washburn University, 2007)|
|Occupation||Fitness Model, Personal Trainer, Nurse, Author|
|Spouse(s)||David Kagan (m. 2013) |
Lauren Danielle Drain (born December 31, 1985) is a former member of the Westboro Baptist Church who wrote the 2013 book Banished, which chronicles her experiences and eventual banishment from the church.
Steve Drain first came into contact with Westboro while working on a documentary critical of the church. He eventually became a fervent convert, and his entire family followed him into the church. Lauren Drain was a member from 2001 until 2008, when she was excommunicated for questioning church doctrine. Her parents, two sisters, and brother are still members of the church, and have cut all ties with her.
Drain graduated from Washburn University in 2007 with a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing. Lauren worked as a Registered Nurse for 9 years before becoming a full-time personal trainer and fitness model. Drain has been married to David Kagan since August 2013. She currently lives in Los Angeles. She also identifies as a Christian.
Drain wrote the book titled Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church, co-authored by Lisa Pulitzer which describes her experiences in the Westboro Baptist Church and her ultimate expulsion from the church. It has been on the New York Best Sellers list in the eBook category as of March 30, 2013.
- Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church
- JERREAT, JESSICA (September 2, 2013). "'I never thought I'd see them again': The moment woman who escaped Westboro Baptist Church was walked down the aisle by fellow escapees after her own family refused to attend wedding". DailyMail Online. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- "Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church by Lauren Drain - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists". Goodreads.com. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Banished, first page in chapter 1 and another page: "Mom and Dad found us a house to rent in Bradenton"
- Sessions, David (March 5, 2013). "'Banished' Lauren Drain on Growing Up in the Westboro Baptist Church". The Daily Beast.
- Brydum, Sunnivie (March 14, 2013). "Escaping Westboro: Former Church Member Lauren Drain Reveals What Made Her Change". Advocate.com. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "Lauren Drain". Lauren Drain. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Hayes, Liz. "Pure Hate". ninemsn. 60 Minutes. Retrieved May 30, 2013.
- "Washburn 2003-04 scholarship winners". Topeka Capital-Journal. March 12, 2003. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Class of 2007: Washburn University". Topeka Capital-Journal. May 21, 2007. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Kraus, Susan (March 18, 2013). "Book review: Banished by Phelps". Lawrence Journal-World. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Turits, Meredith (February 26, 2013). "Banished: Former Westboro Baptist Church Member Lauren Drain Looks Back on Her Days In the Church, and Apologizes". Glamour. Retrieved May 19, 2017.
I do still hold my Christian beliefs, I don't condemn people like that anymore.
- Sieczkowski, Cavan (February 11, 2013). "Lauren Drain, Former Westboro Baptist Church Member, Poses For NOH8 Campaign". The Huffington Post. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- "Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church eBook: Lauren Drain, Lisa Pulitzer: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store". Amazon.ca. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Cowles, Gregory. "Best Sellers - The New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "Lauren Drain Kagan (@LaurenDrainFit) on Instagram". Retrieved February 3, 2016.
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|