Faust in 2014 with Super Best Friends Forever figures
July 25, 1974 |
|Alma mater||California Institute of the Arts|
|Spouse(s)||Craig McCracken (2004–present)|
Lauren Faust (born July 25, 1974) is an American animator, writer, director, and producer, best known for developing Hasbro's animated television series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, as well as working frequently with her husband Craig McCracken. Faust has also worked as an animator on television series such as The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. She has worked with Cartoon Network Studios, Warner Bros., Hasbro, and DreamWorks Animation.
Faust attended the California Institute of Arts from 1992 to 1994, working as a layout artist at Rough Draft Studios. She then worked as an animator at Turner Feature Animation for two years and then as an animator for Warner Bros. Feature Animation for two years. Faust started working at Cartoon Network Studios in 1999. She worked as a storyboard artist and writer at Cartoon Network Studios for four years and then as a supervising producer and story supervisor.
Faust's early career focused on animated feature films, working on Cats Don't Dance, Quest for Camelot, and The Iron Giant as an animator. She shifted to television animation in the 2000s, working on The Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Super Best Friends Forever, and Wander Over Yonder. She is also the creator and developer of the toy line Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls.
Sony Pictures Animation announced in June 2014 that Faust would direct an animated comedy feature film titled Medusa, created by Todd Alcott and Holly Golden. The film tells a new story about the character from Greek mythology, in which a young lady named Medusa sets out on a quest to revert the curse she earned from a jealous goddess. In November 2015, Faust announced that she was no longer involved with the project or with Sony.
Faust worked with Hasbro to develop the company's My Little Pony property, resulting in the series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The series proved to be a major success not only with the primary young audience, but also significantly among adults and teenagers, who became popularly known as "bronies".
In 2004, Faust was nominated for an Emmy Award. In 2005, she was nominated for an Annie Award. In 2009, she shared a Primetime Emmy for the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends special, "Destination: Imagination".
Faust is married to Craig McCracken, creator of The Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and Wander Over Yonder. They met while they were working on the third season of The Powerpuff Girls. Faust has worked with her husband on all of his shows. She considers herself a lifelong feminist. Faust took maternity leave in mid-2016 to take care of her newborn daughter.
|1994||Home, Honey, I'm High||voice|
|1997||Cats Don't Dance||animator – "Sawyer"|
|1998||Quest for Camelot||animator – United States|
|1999||The Iron Giant||animator|
|2002||The Powerpuff Girls Movie||writer|
|2013||My Little Pony: Equestria Girls||received a credit in the film as "Series Developer"|
|2013||Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony||Executive Producer, herself|
|2014||My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks||received a credit in the film as "Series Developer"|
|2015||My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Friendship Games||received a credit in the film as "Series Developer"|
|2015||The Iron Giant: Signature Edition||animator|
|2016||Open Season: Scared Silly||special thanks|
|1995||The Maxx||character layout artist|
|2001||Codename: Kids Next Door||walk cycles
Episode: No P in the OOL
|2001–2005||The Powerpuff Girls||storyboard artist, writer, director, supervising director|
|2004–2009||Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends||developer, supervising producer (Seasons 3-4), writer, story, story supervisor, storyboard artist, character designer, animation director, story editor|
|2010–2012||My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic||creator, developed for television by
Season 1: executive producer, writer, character designer, creative director
Season 2: executive producer on The Return of Harmony, consulting producer
All episodes: received a "Developed for Television By" credit
|2012||Super Best Friends Forever||creator, director, writer, storyboard artist, producer|
|2013||Wander Over Yonder||developer, co-producer, story editor, writer, director, character designer (Season 1 only)|
|2017||Them's Fightin' Herds||Developer|
- Liz Ohanesian "Lauren Faust: Let's Hear It for the Girls", L.A. Weekly People 2012 issue, May 17, 2012
- Reber, Deborah (May 11, 2010). In Their Shoes: Extraordinary Women Describe Their Amazing Careers. Simon Pulse. pp. 234–6. ISBN 978-1-4391-0370-8. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "The World's Finest". Worldsfinestonline.com. Archived from the original on January 11, 2012. Retrieved February 18, 2012.
- Sony Pictures Animation (June 5, 2014). "Sony Pictures Animation Announces New Original Feature Project MEDUSA, With Emmy® Winner Lauren Faust To Direct" (Press release). PRNewswire. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Amidi, Amid (November 24, 2015). "Lauren Faust No Longer Directing 'Medusa' at Sony Pictures Animation (Exclusive)". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved November 24, 2015.
- Vara, Vauhini; Zimmerman, Ann (November 4, 2011). "Hey, Bro, That's My Little Pony! Guys' Interest Mounts in Girly TV Show". Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on December 1, 2011. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- Ostroff, Joshua (October 22, 2013). "People Are Kids, Too". The Grid. Archived from the original on October 22, 2013. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- Lauren Faust (December 24, 2010), "My Little NON-Homophobic, NON-Racist, NON-Smart-Shaming Pony: A Rebuttal", Ms. Magazine Blog, retrieved September 12, 2016
- "Episode 18: Lauren Faust", Nick Animation Podcast, September 9, 2016, retrieved September 12, 2016,
My daughter's only three months old, so I'm still on my leave, so I'm... just... usually... all day, taking care of the baby. I kinda love it.
- "Disney's 2012–13 TV Schedule Presented to Advertisers". Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (September 22, 2015). "My Little Pony: FiM creator launches brony fighting game crowdfunding campaign". Eurogamer. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- ManeSix DevTeam, 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lauren Faust.|