|Born||March 21, 1981|
Dayton, Ohio, United States
|Education||Master of Arts|
|Alma mater||University of California|
|Genre||Young adult, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal|
|Notable works||Fallen series|
Lauren Kate is an author of adult and young adult fiction. Her books have been translated into over thirty languages and include The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove and Fallen, which reached number 3 on the New York Times Best Seller List for children's chapter books on January 8, 2010, remaining there throughout April 2011. Fallen's sequel Torment entered the NYT Best Seller List at number 1.
Kate was raised in Dallas, Texas, and has a Master's degree in fiction from the University of California, Davis. Kate has stated that experience of the "Old South" in the Atlanta area (she went to college at Emory) inspired her to set Fallen in a Civil War era academy.
Her standalone novel, The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove, was released on November 12, 2009, and her second work, Fallen (the first in the Fallen series), was released that same year. Torment, the sequel to Fallen, released on 28 September 2010, debuted at number 1 on the New York Times Bestseller List (Fallen came in that week at number 2), remaining at that position through the week of October 17. The paperback edition of Fallen debuted at number 1 on the list, as well. The third book in the Fallen series, entitled Passion, was released on June 14, 2011. A new edition of Natalie Hargrove was also released on the same day as the paperback edition of Torment. On June 23, Passion reached number 7 on the USA Today Bestseller List, for books overall. On July 3, 2011, Passion qualified the Fallen books for the Series section of the New York Times Bestseller List; it entered the list at number 2, behind the Hunger Games books. Each of the aforementioned books has appeared atop many other countries' bestseller lists, as well.
Fallen in Love—a collection of novellas set in the Middle Ages that tell the back-stories of several of the Fallen series' main characters—was published on January 24, 2012. Rapture, the final installment of the series, was published on June 12, 2012. Unforgiven, a spin-off novel featuring the side-character Cam Briel from the series and his love Lilith, was released on November 10, 2015.
Disney optioned the film rights to the entire series on the day of Fallen's release (December 9, 2009).
Random House released the first book of Kate's subsequent series, Teardrop, in October 2013. A prequel novella, titled Last Day of Love, was released two months later in December 2013.
- Fallen (December 9, 2009)
- Torment (September 28, 2010)
- Passion (June 14, 2011)
- Fallen In Love (January 24, 2012)
- Rapture (June 12, 2012)
- Unforgiven (November 10, 2015)
- Angels In The Dark (Short Story Collection) (December 10, 2013)
- Teardrop (October 22, 2013) - New Times Bestseller
- Last Day of Love (Prequel Novella) (December 10, 2013)
- Waterfall (October 28, 2014)
- The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove (November 12, 2009)
- The Orphan's Song (June 25, 2019)
Inspiration for characters
Kate has said that her characters are based on people that she knows, such as her husband being the "original" Cam Briel, a character from the Fallen novels.
Fallen film adaptation
The movie based on the 1st book of the series Fallen was released in the United States direct-to-VOD on August 8th 2017, in theaters on September 8th 2017 and October 10th 2017 on DVD/Blu-ray
- "Children's Books After Torments sequel Passion was released, the entire Fallen series entered the NYT Best Seller List". The New York Times. 8 January 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "Lauren Kate author profile". Random House. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "A New Heartthrob…". Lauren Kate Books. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- "Fallen in Love: A Fallen Novel in Stories: Lauren Kate: 9780385742610: Amazon.com: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- Van de Wall, Virginia. "Miss Literati". Archived from the original on 15 September 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter