|Alma mater||Marymount Manhattan College|
Morelli, who grew up in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, suburb of McCandless, graduated from Winchester Thurston School and then studied dance at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City, until a back injury ended her career in dance.
After several years of mourning the loss of her dancing career, Morelli was inspired by a college professor to pursue a career in writing. She began with short stories and small blog pieces until she landed her first professional writing position on the 2013 Netflix series Orange Is the New Black. She was appointed the role of "lead writer" for two episodes of the first season of Orange Is the New Black, "WAC-Pack" and "Tall Men with Feelings". Morelli has also worked as a playwright: her short play "Roach & Rat" was featured in Lesser America's production of Just Right Just Now in New York.
Morelli has been nominated for the 2014 Online Film and Television Association's award for Best Writing in a Comedy Series and the 2014 and 2015 Writers Guild of America's award for Best Comedy Series, for her work on Orange Is the New Black, along with several other writers from the show.
Morelli is lesbian. In September 2014, Morelli filed for divorce from her husband of two years, Steve Basilone, who had battled a life-threatening illness until just before their wedding. On October 4, 2016, Morelli announced her engagement to actress Samira Wiley, with whom she had been in a relationship since publicly coming out. They married on March 25, 2017 in Palm Springs, California.
- Sciullo, Maria (October 14, 2013). "How Writer Lauren Morelli Gives Subtle Shades to 'Orange Is the New Black'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Archived from the original on April 14, 2015. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- Teague, Victoria (17 Oct 2013). "New York Theatre Review: Victoria Teague on Just Right Just Now as Presented by the Lesser America". New York Theater Review. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "Lauren Morelli – Awards". IMDb.com. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- Morelli, Lauren (21 May 2014). "While Writing for 'Orange Is the New Black,' I Realized I Am Gay". Mic. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Voltaggio, Maria (14 September 2014). "Who Is Lauren Morelli? 'OITNB' Writer Divorces Husband And Dates Poussey Actress Samira Wiley". International Business Times. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "Samira Wiley Is Engaged to Orange Is the New Black Writer Lauren Morelli". E! News. 2016-10-04. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- Savada, Shira (2017-03-23). "Exclusive: Samira Wiley and Lauren Morelli Are Married!". Martha Stewart Weddings. Retrieved 2017-03-26.