Laurence A. Rickels
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2015)|
December 2, 1954 |
Cherokee, Iowa, USA
|Era||20th / 21stcentury philosophy|
|School||Psychoanalysis · Frankfurt School · Deconstruction|
|German Literature, Science Fiction, Cultural Studies, Media theory, Vampirism]], the Occult|
Laurence Arthur Rickels (born December 2, 1954) is an American literary and media theorist, whose most significant works have been in the tradtition of the Frankfurt School's efforts to apply psychoanalytic insights to mass media culture. Some of his best known works include The Case of California, The Vampire Lectures, and the three volume work Nazi Psychoanalysis. After 30 years at the University of California at Santa Barbara, he was appointed as successor to Klaus Theweleit in April 2011 to the Academy of Fine Arts, Karlsruhe, where he is currently professor of Art and Theory. In the summers, he serves as the Sigmund Freud Professor of Media and Philosophy at the European Graduate School in SaasFee, Switzerland.
Rickels was born in Cherokee, Iowa on December 2, 1954. He currently resides and works in Karlsruhe and Berlin.
Rickels’s research has been supported by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the Austrian Government, the Center for German and European Studies (UC Berkeley), the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the Interdisciplinary Humanities Center (UC Santa Barbara), and the Zentrum für Literatur und Kulturforschung Berlin, among other institutions, agencies, and offices. At New York University he presented the 2007 Otto and Ilse Mainzer Lecture and, in 2011, en route to his new position in Germany, the Undergraduate Major’s Choice Lecture of the Comparative Literature Department.
(book written as author)
- Germany A Science Fiction (Fort Wayne AntiOedipus Press, 2015)
- Die Unterwelt der Psychoanalyse (Vienna Passagen Verlag, 2014)
- SPECTRE (Fort Wayne AntiOedipus Press, 2013)
- Geprüfte Seelen (Vienna Passagen Verlag, 2012)
- I Think I Am Philip K. Dick (Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press, 2010)
- 뱀파이어 강의 (Seoul Rubybox Publisher, 2009)
- The Devil Notebooks (Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press, 2008)
- Ulrike Ottinger The Autobiography of Art Cinema (Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press, 2008)
- Ulrike Ottinger. Eine Autobiografie des Kinos (Berlin b_books, 2007)
- Vampirismus Vorlesungen (Berlin Brinkmann & Bose, 2007)
- Nazi Psychoanalysis, 3 Volumes Only Psychoanalysis Won the War, CryptoFetishism, PsyFi (Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press, 2002)
- The Vampire Lectures (Minneapolis University of Minnesota Press, 1999)
- The Case of California (Baltimore The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1991) *Reprinted with University of Minnesota Press, 2001.
- Der unbetrauerbare Tod (Vienna Edition Passagen, 1989)
- Aberrations of Mourning Writing on German Crypts (Detroit Wayne State University Press, 1988)
-  Laurence A. Rickels] Profile at European Graduate Schoo ], Department of Media & Communications
-  Laurence A. Rickels] Profile at European Graduate School , Department of Media & Communications
-  Profile by UCSB Department of Germanic, Slavic and Semitic Studies]
-  Profile by the Fine Arts Academy of Karlsruhe