|Occupation||Filmmaker, Producer, Author|
|Years active||1983 - present|
Laurent Bouzereau is a French-American documentary filmmaker, producer, and author.
Life and career
Laurent Bouzereau directed and produced Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind, for HBO and Amblin Television. The film was selected at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival and presented in the Documentary Premiere selection.
Bouzereau is also the director/co-producer of the Netflix series Five Came Back, executive produced by Steven Spielberg, Scott Rudin, Barry Diller and Amblin Television, based on the best-selling book by Mark Harris, and narrated by Meryl Streep. The documentary features Francis Ford Coppola, Guillermo del Toro, Paul Greengrass, Lawrence Kasdan, and Steven Spielberg.
Bouzereau was born and raised in a suburb of Paris, France. He began his career in New York as a freelance journalist and author with The De Palma Cut while working in publicity and promotion for the independent distribution company Spectrafilm. Upon moving to Hollywood, he was story editor and graduated to director of development for Bette Midler's production company, All Girl Productions. He got his start in home entertainment when he recorded audio commentary for the Criterion Collection on the LaserDisc for Carrie in 1991. In 1995, he produced his first of many documentaries for Steven Spielberg when he was asked to work on the LaserDisc restoration of the film 1941. That year he also produced The Making of Steven Spielberg's 'Jaws', a feature-length documentary that was included on the LaserDisc release of Jaws in 1995, and later on the DVD and Blu-ray releases of the film. Following the success of this documentary, Bouzereau continued to produce retrospective documentaries for Laserdisc, including the making of Scarface and E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial in 1996, the making of Psycho in 1997 and the making of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 1998. In 2002, for the production of A.I. Artificial Intelligence, he began documenting the filmmaking process on-set.
Bouzereau has produced documentaries on the making-of some of the biggest films in the history of cinema, by some of the most acclaimed directors of all-time. He has produced most of the documentaries on the making of Steven Spielberg's films. In total, he has documented over 150 films, including the Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park film franchises. Among the many titles include American Graffiti by George Lucas, Titanic and Avatar by James Cameron, the Universal and Warners Bros. Alfred Hitchcock collections, Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai by David Lean, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Casino by Martin Scorsese, Scarface, Carrie, and Dressed to Kill by Brian De Palma, Cruising and The Exorcist by William Friedkin, Back to the Future by Robert Zemeckis, Reds by Warren Beatty, Chinatown and Tess by Roman Polanski, and The Last Picture Show by Peter Bogdanovich.
As an author, Bouzereau's credits include Hitchcock: Piece by Piece, The Art of Bond, The New York Times Best-Seller The Making of Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays, The Cutting Room Floor: Movie Scenes Which Never Made It To The Screen, Ultra Violent Movies: From Sam Peckinpah to Quentin Tarantino and The De Palma Cut: The Films of America's Most Controversial Director.
Bouzereau wrote, directed and produced the documentary on legendary film producer Richard D. Zanuck entitled Don't Say No Until I Finish Talking, executive produced by Steven Spielberg. Zanuck watched the film three days before he died.
Bouzereau wrote, directed and produced the TCM/Amblin Television series A Night at the Movies. Episodes include George Lucas and the World of Fantasy Cinema, The Horrors of Stephen King, Hollywood Goes to Washington, The Gigantic World of Epics, The Suspenseful World of Thrillers, Merry Christmas!, and Cops & Robbers and Crime Writers.
Bouzereau directed the documentary Roman Polanski: A Film Memoir, which premiered at the 2011 Zurich Film Festival and was selected at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival (out of competition). Bouzereau is also the co-producer of the Feel Good Fiction/BBC Radio program The Blind Man, based on an un-produced script by Ernest Lehman and Alfred Hitchcock.
Bouzereau is developing as director / producer, several feature film and documentary projects, including Mama’s Boy: A Story from our Americas, based on the best-selling memoir by Dustin Lance Black.
- Roman Polanski: A Film Memoir (2011)
- Don't Say No Until I Finish Talking: The Story of Richard D. Zanuck (2013)
- Steven Spielberg & John Williams: The Adventure Continues (2017)
- Five Came Back (2017)
- Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind (2019)
- A Night at the Movies: The Gigantic World of Epics (2009)
- A Night at the Movies: The Suspenseful World of Thrillers (2009)
- A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King (2011)
- A Night at the Movies: Merry Christmas! (2011)
- A Night at the Movies: Hollywood Goes To Washington (2012)
- A Night at the Movies: Cops & Robbers and Crime Writers (2013)
- A Night at the Movies: George Lucas and the World of Fantasy Cinema (2014)
Behind-the-Scenes Documentaries (selected titles)
- West Side Story (2020)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
- The Color Purple
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park
- Saving Private Ryan
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence
- Minority Report
- Catch Me If You Can
- The Terminal
- War of the Worlds
- The Adventures of Tintin
- War Horse
- Bridge of Spies
- The BFG
- The Post
- Ready Player One
- Foreign Correspondent
- Shadow of a Doubt
- Stage Fright
- Strangers on a Train
- I Confess
- Dial M for Murder
- Rear Window
- To Catch a Thief
- The Trouble with Harry
- The Man Who Knew Too Much
- The Wrong Man
- The Birds
- Torn Curtain
- Family Plot
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Brian de Palma
- Dressed to Kill
- Body Double
- The Untouchables
- Casualties of War
- Carlito's Way
- Femme Fatale
- The Black Dahlia
Francis Ford Coppola
Cecil B. DeMille
Sam Taylor Johnson
Felix Van Groeningen
- The De Palma Cut: The Film of America's Most Controversial Director (1988)
- The Alfred Hitchcock Quote Book (1993)
- The Cutting Room Floor: Movie Scenes Which Never Made It To The Screen (1994) ISBN 978-0806514918
- Ultraviolent Movies: From Sam Peckinpah to Quentin Tarantino (1996)
- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays (1997)
- The Making of Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) (Co-author with Jody Duncan)
- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: From Concept to Classic (2002) (Contributor)
- Alma Hitchcock: The Woman Behind The Man (2003) (Co-author with Pat Hitchcock O'Connell)
- The Art of Bond: From Storyboard to Screen (2006)
- The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films (2008) (Co-author with J.W. Rinzler)
- Hitchcock, Piece By Piece (2010)
- Steven Spielberg's War Horse (2011) (Contributor)
- Lincoln, A Steven Spielberg Film: A Cinematic and Historical Companion (2012) (Contributor)
|2014||Silver Key Art Award: 12 Years a Slave documentary for Blu-ray A Historical Portrait||Clio Awards|
|2008||Best Blu-ray Catalogue Title: Close Encounters of the Third Kind Blu-ray||DVD Critics Awards|
|2004||The Pioneer Award||DVD Exclusive Awards|
|2003||Career Achievement Award||F.I.M.O: Festival International du 'Making of'|
|2001||Best Documentary: The Birds DVD||DVD Exclusive Awards|
- Busch, Anita (28 February 2017). "'Netflix's 'Five Came Back' With Spielberg, Coppola, Del Toro, Greengrass & Kasdan Drops Trailer – Watch". Deadline. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "Watch Spielberg, Coppola Laud WWII Filmmakers in New Netflix Docu-Series". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- Saltzman, Marc (14 January 2003). "The behind-the-scenes art of developing DVD extras". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- Dave Foster (26 November 2002). "Interview with Laurent Bouzereau - DVD Producer on Minority Report". Film @ The Digital Fix. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Jaws: 30th Anniversary Edition". DVD Talk. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "DVDs: Is "Jaws" The Most Influential Film of All Time?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Film Freak Central - Scarface (1983) [Limited Edition] - Blu-ray Disc". www.filmfreakcentral.net. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "The Making of 'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial' | Zagreb Film Festival". www.zagrebfilmfestival.com. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "'Psycho' gets 50th-anniversary Blu-ray release; still crazy-good after all these years". NOLA.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Latest Encounter Seems Pretty Close To Laserdisc". tribunedigital-sunsentinel. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Features > homevideo --- Giving some credit where due in Spielberg's 'A.I.'". legacy.utsandiego.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Moerk, Christian (3 April 2005). "The Powers Behind the Home-Video Throne". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "Blu-ray Review - Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures". www.thedigitalbits.com. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "MovieFreak.com - "Jurassic Park - Ultimate Trilogy" Blu-ray Disc Review". www.moviefreak.com. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "American Graffiti Special Edition - Recommended - DVD, Blu-ray & Digital HD Reviews". Home Theater Forum. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Some Special Features And Deleted Scenes To Expect On The (Eventual) Titanic Blu-ray". Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition". DVD Talk. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection DVD extras, special features, bonus material". dvdextras.net. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Lawrence of Arabia". www.thedigitalbits.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "The Bridge on the River Kwai (Blu-ray)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "Watch: 70-Minute Documentary on the Making of Martin Scorsese's 'Taxi Driver'". thefilmstage.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "DVD Guru Bouzereau on Making the Making-Of Doc - Studio Daily". Studio Daily. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "Scarface (1983) - Blu-ray". www.homecinemachoice.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "QNetwork Entertainment Portal". www.qnetwork.com. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "Dressed to Kill | Blu-ray Review | Slant Magazine". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "Warner to Give 'Cruising' a High-Def Makeover | High-Def Digest". www.highdefdigest.com. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "The Exorcist Announced on Blu-ray". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Going Back in Time: Remembering "Back to the Future" on its 30th Anniversary". www.thedigitalbits.com. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "The DVD Journal | Quick Reviews: Reds: 25th Anniversary Edition". www.dvdjournal.com. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "DVD review: 'Chinatown' special edition - DVD Spin Doctor". dvdspindoctor.typepad.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Tess: Criterion Collection (Blu-ray)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 12 November 2015.
- "America Lost and Found: The BBS Story Blu-ray - With Disc Cover Cards and Bookstyle Cases of Seven Innovative Films". www.dvdbeaver.com. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Independents/Chain Bestseller List". www.nytimes.com. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "Amazon.com: Laurent Bouzereau: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "TCM Film Festival: Producer Richard Zanuck's Life Remembered". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Richard Zanuck Watched His Biopic Days Before Dying (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "TCM's Night at the Movies: Thrillers". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "George Lucas Talks Fantasy Cinema in TCM's Latest A Night at the Movies Documentary". EclipseMagazine. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Roman Polanski honoured at Zurich film fest". www.cbc.ca. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Roman polanski : a film memoir". Festival de Cannes. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Hitchcock's The Blind Man, Unmade Movies, Drama - BBC Radio 4". BBC. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "CLIO Awards 2015". CLIO Key Art Awards. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "'Blade Runner' Named Top DVD of '07 | Home Media Magazine". www.homemediamagazine.com. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Duff, Hamill top DVD Exclusive kudos". Variety. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "TCM Classic Film Festival". TCM Classic Film Festival 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Video Business Video Premiere Award winners". Variety. Retrieved 9 November 2015.