|Full name||Laurence Ellis|
|Date of birth||7 November 1979|
|Place of birth||Edinburgh, Scotland|
|Dundee United (assistant manager)|
|2012-2016||Raith Rovers (player-coach)|
|2016-||Dundee United (assistant)|
|2017||Dundee United (caretaker)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Ellis began his senior career with Raith Rovers, whom he joined from Edinburgh amateur club Links United. He played for Raith in three separate periods, interrupted by spells with St Mirren as well as with part-time clubs Cowdenbeath and Stirling Albion.
Ellis's started his career with Raith Rovers where he made his début on 12 December 1998 against Greenock Morton in the Scottish First Division. Ellis made over 90 appearances for the club and scored his first league goal for Raith Rovers on 25 November 2000 in their defeat to Ayr United.
Ellis remained at the Kirkcaldy side until 2003 when he left to sign for St Mirren He made his début for St Mirren on 2 August 2003 against Queens Park in the Scottish League Challenge Cup and stayed with St Mirren for two seasons before leaving at the end of the 2004–05 season after his contract with St. Mirren expired. After being released by St. Mirren, Ellis returned to his former club Raith Rovers, making his second début for the club on 30 July 2005 against Elgin City in the Scottish League Challenge Cup. He stayed at Rovers for a season before moving to their local rivals Cowdenbeath to team up with former St. Mirren team mate Mixu Paatelainen
Ellis made his début for Cowdenbeath on 5 August 2006 against Alloa Athletic in the Scottish Second Division featuring in all but four of Cowdenbeath's games throughout the 2006–07 season where he scored six goals for the club. At the end of the season he returned to playing in the First Division after signing for newly promoted side Stirling Albion on 1 June 2007. Ellis made his début for Stirling on 4 August 2007 against Partick Thistle.
In May 2008, he returned to his first club Raith Rovers after just one season at the Forthbank Stadium. Laurie made his 250th appearance for the club in August 2010. On 15 October 2011 Laurie played his 300th game for Raith Rovers, scoring in a 2–0 win over Partick Thistle.[dead link]
On 3 July 2012, Ellis also took up first team coach reins while also continuing on as a player at Raith Rovers. Ellis moved to Dundee United in May 2016, along with manager Ray McKinnon. When McKinnon left United in October 2017, Ellis was made the caretaker manager. Ellis stayed on as assistant manager after the appointment of Csaba László.
- "Soccerbase Profile on Laurie Ellis". Soccerbase. Retrieved 18 January 2008.
- "Ayr United 4–2 Raith Rovers". BBC Sport. 25 November 2000. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- "McGowne returns to Love Street". BBC Sport. 26 June 2003. Retrieved 26 June 2003.
- "Gillies and Ellis to leave Saints". BBC Sport. 25 April 2005. Retrieved 25 April 2005.
- "Ellis back at Stark's Park". BBC Sport. 27 May 2005. Retrieved 27 May 2005.
- "Cowdenbeath sign up Rovers' Ellis". BBC Sport. 29 June 2006. Retrieved 29 June 2006.
- "Stirling Make First Signing". James Smith, stirlingalbion.com. Archived from the original on 20 August 2008. Retrieved 23 May 2007.
- "Ellis set to depart from Albion". BBC Sport. 14 May 2008. Retrieved 17 May 2008.
- "Rovers Are Too Sharp For The Jags". Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- "New Management Team Announced". Raith Rovers FC. 3 July 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2012.
- McLauchlin, Brian (16 May 2016). "Ray McKinnon on Dundee United: 'Head, not heart ruled my decision'". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "SCOTTISH CUP-WINNING BOSS PETER HOUSTON OUT OF RUNNING FOR DUNDEE UNITED JOB". Evening Telegraph. DC Thomson. 25 October 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- Currie, David (8 November 2017). "Dundee United: Promotion is only goal for new manager Csaba Laszlo". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Laurie Ellis at Soccerbase