Laurie J. Michelson
Laurie Jill Michelson
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan|
|Assumed office |
March 14, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||George Caram Steeh III|
|Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan|
2011 – March 14, 2014
|Born||June 18, 1967|
|Education||University of Michigan (A.B.)|
Northwestern University School of Law (J.D.)
Laurie Jill Michelson (born June 18, 1967) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and former United States Magistrate Judge of the same court.
Michelson received an Artium Baccalaureus degree in 1989 from the University of Michigan. She received a Juris Doctor in 1992 from Northwestern University School of Law. From 1992 to 1993, she served as a law clerk to Judge Cornelia G. Kennedy of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. She joined the law firm of Butzel Long as an associate in 1993, becoming a shareholder in 2000. Her private practice specialized in media law, intellectual property and white collar criminal defense. In 2011, she was appointed as a United States Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, a capacity in which she served until her elevation as a district court judge on March 14, 2014.
Federal judicial service
On July 25, 2013, President Obama nominated Michelson to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, to the seat vacated by Judge George Caram Steeh III, who took senior status on January 29, 2013. On January 16, 2014, her nomination was reported out of committee. A cloture vote was held on Tuesday, March 11, 2014, on the Michelson nomination; cloture was invoked by a vote of 56–43. On Wednesday, March 12, 2014, the United States Senate voted 98–0 for final confirmation. She received her judicial commission on March 14, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Six to Serve on the United States District Court". 25 July 2013.
- "Michelson, Laurie Jill – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 70. United States Senate. 12 March 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- Laurie J. Michelson at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Laurie J. Michelson at Ballotpedia
George Caram Steeh III
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan