This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||7 February 1927|
|Genres||Pop, swing, soundtrack|
|Occupation(s)||Composer, bandleader, arranger|
Laurence Reginald Ward Johnson,  and has been one of the most highly regarded arrangers of instrumental pop and swing music since in the 1950s with works often serving as stock production music.(born 7 February 1927) is an English composer and bandleader who has written scores for dozens of film and television series
Johnson was born in Hampstead, and studied at the Royal College of Music in London, and spent four years in the Coldstream Guards before moving to the entertainment industry in the 1950s. One of his first major projects was as composer and music director in a musical adaptation of Henry Fielding's Rape Upon Rape entitled Lock Up Your Daughters (1959), which opened in Bernard Miles' Mermaid Theatre. The score, with lyrics by Lionel Bart, won an Ivor Novello Award. Johnson's stage work included music for the Peter Cook revue, Pieces of Eight (1959), and The Four Musketeers (1967), starring Harry Secombe.
In 1961, Johnson entered the UK Singles Chart with "Sucu Sucu", the theme music from the UK television series Top Secret. It was in this area of television scoring that he was to be most prolific. From the 1960s to the 1980s, he composed over fifty themes and scores, including the theme used on This Is Your Life (entitled "Gala Performance"), The Avengers (from 1965), Animal Magic (entitled "Las Vegas"), Jason King, The New Avengers and The Professionals. He was one of the founders, with Albert Fennell and Brian Clemens, of Mark One Productions, the television production company responsible for The New Avengers and The Professionals.
Johnson was responsible for the theme music to the BBC Radio 1 series "Sounds of Jazz", introduced by Peter Clayton and broadcast on Sunday evenings from October 1973 onwards.
Johnson's film scores included The Good Companions, The Moonraker (1958), Tiger Bay, Dr. Strangelove, First Men in the Moon, You Must Be Joking!, And Soon the Darkness, Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter and Diagnosis: Murder (the 1975 Christopher Lee film). Among his other works was the music for the television film, Mister Jerico, which involved many of the original Avengers team, including Patrick Macnee.
Johnson released several recordings on the Unicorn-Kanchana label. These included his own compositions The Royal Tour, The Wind in the Willows and Symphony: Synthesis for a large ensemble comprising a jazz orchestra and symphony orchestra. Originally released by EMI Records, Symphony featured several famous jazz names including Tubby Hayes, Don Lusher, Joe Harriott, Kenny Wheeler and Stan Tracey, as well as the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Johnson also released an album of music from The Avengers, The New Avengers and The Professionals, an album of his scores for The First Men in the Moon, Dr Strangelove and Captain Kronos, and two albums of the compositions of others: the film music of Dmitri Tiomkin, and Bernard Herrmann's suite for North by Northwest.
Since 1997, Johnson has toured with the band he formed, 'The London Big Band'. Their "Theme From 'The Professionals'" peaked in the UK Singles Chart at #36 in May 1997. He has also provided DVD commentaries on several of the series in which he has been involved.
- The Good Companions (1957)
- The Moonraker (1958)
- Girls at Sea (1958)
- No Trees in the Street (1959)
- Tiger Bay (1959)
- Operation Bullshine (1959)
- I Aim at the Stars (1960)
- Spare The Rod (1961)
- What a Whopper (1961)
- Siege of the Saxons (1963)
- Bitter Harvest (1963)
- Dr. Strangelove (1964)
- First Men in the Moon (1964)
- East of Sudan (1964)
- The Beauty Jungle (1964)
- You Must Be Joking! (1965)
- Hot Millions (1968)
- Mister Jerico (1970)
- And Soon the Darkness (1970)
- The Firechasers (1971)
- Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter (1972)
- The Belstone Fox (1973)
- The Maids (1974)
- Hedda (1975)
- Diagnosis: Murder (1975)
- It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet (1976)
- A Hazard of Hearts (1987)
- It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (1987)
- The Lady and the Highwayman (1989)
- A Ghost in Monte Carlo (1990)
- No Hiding Place (1959)
- Top Secret (1961)
- Animal Magic (1962)
- Riviera Police (1965)
- The Avengers (1965)
- This Is Your Life (1969)
- Red Gauntlet (1970)
- Shirley's World (1971)
- Jason King (1971)
- Thriller (1973)
- The New Avengers (1976)
- The Professionals (1977)
- W1A (2014) - same theme as Animal Magic
Notable stock tracks
- "Blood in the Gutter" (from "Two Cities" Suite) KPM
- "Fisticuffs" (fight music from "The Avengers") KPM
- "Gala Premiere" (theme from "This Is Your Life") KPM
- "Happy Go Lively" KPM
- "Lonely Stranger" (from "The Avengers", Episode: "Joker") KPM
- "Shopping Spree" KPM
- "Laurie Johnson". IMDb.com. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Laurie Johnson". Pandora.com. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Laurie Johnson - Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 287. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Laurie Johnson - film and TV composer". Mfiles.co.uk. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "No. 60895". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2014. p. b21.