The Lausanne campus or Dorigny university campus (French: campus lausannois or campus de Dorigny) is a large area in Switzerland where the University of Lausanne (UNIL), the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and several other institutions are located. It is in Dorigny, towards the west of Lausanne, on the shores of Lake Geneva. The site is about 2.2 kilometres wide and 31,000 people study and work there.
In 1946, the citizens refuse a project of airport ("aéroport vaudois Lausanne-Écublens") on the site. In 1963, the Canton of Vaud buy the property of Dorigny; at this time, the University of Lausanne is located in more than forty places in Lausanne.
The inauguration of the first EPFL buildings of the new campus took place in 1978.
A new building (Synathlon) will host the Institute of Sport Sciences of the University of Lausanne, the International Academy of Sport Science and Technology, the International University Sports Federation and the International Sport Cluster.
- University of Lausanne (UNIL)
- HEC Lausanne
- Cantonal and University Library of Lausanne (BCU)
- "La Grange de Dorigny", the theatre of the UNIL
- Swiss Graduate School of Public Administration (IDHEAP)
- École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
- Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research (ISREC)
- Tokamak à configuration variable (research fusion reactor)
- Swiss Tech Convention Center
- Learning Centre
- EPFL Innovation Park (hosting 170 companies), part of the Swiss Innovation Park
- Musée Bolo
- UNIL-EPFL common structures:
- Language Centre
- Sport Centre
- Lausanne University Clubs (LUCs) of badminton, football, American football, rugby, unihockey and volleyball
- Formation continue (continuing education)
- Centre universitaire lausannois en finance
- Centre for Advanced Surface Analysis (Centre de compétence en analyse de surface des matériaux)
- Centre of Biotechnology
- Human Brain Project
- Fréquence banane (campus radio)
- Other institutions:
- Jean Monnet Foundation for Europe
- Swiss Institute of Comparative Law
- Swiss Centre of Expertise in the Social Sciences
- Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics (SIB)
- Centre for Biomedical Imaging (CIBM)
- Swiss School of Archaeology in Greece
- Presses polytechniques et universitaires romandes
- Archives of the Canton of Vaud
- International Academy of Sport Science and Technology (AISTS)
- International Sport Cluster (since 2016)
- International University Sports Federation (since 2016)
- Numerous restaurants, cafeterias and food stalls
- Bars ("Zelig" in the Géopolis and "Satellite" in the CM building)
- Shopping area "Les Arcades" (at the "EPFL" metro station) includes Migros, Denner and Holy Cow! Gourmet Burger Company.
- Other shops:
- Bookshops ("Basta!" in the Anthropole and "La fontaine" in the Learning Centre)
- University souvenir shops (of the UNIL in the Amphimax and of the EPFL in the Learning Centre)
- Groceries ("L'épicentre" at the UNIL and "Le négoce" at the EPFL)
- Banks (Banque cantonale vaudoise in the Internef and Credit Suisse in the Learning Centre)
- Swiss Post office (at the Avenue Auguste Piccard)
- Swiss Federal Railways ticket shop
- Accommodations next to the campus:
- Some university halls of residence (Atrium, Ochettes and Triaudes) of the Fondation de maisons pour étudiants de Lausanne (FMEL)
- Hotels (Starling Hotel, Swiss Tech Hotel) and motel (Motel des pierrettes)
- Day nurseries
- Mobility Carsharing vehicles
- Farmers' markets
The EPFL esplanade and the Alps in winter.
Other education and research institutions in Lausanne
Other education and research institutions in Lausanne includes:
- University Hospital of Lausanne (CHUV)
- Ludwig Centre for Cancer Research of the University of Lausanne
- Swiss Cancer Centre
- École hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL)
- École cantonale d'art de Lausanne (ECAL)
- International Institute for Management Development (IMD)
- Business School Lausanne (BSL)
Notes and references
- Un campus en chantier jusqu'à 2016 Archived 14 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine, www.letemps.ch, 5 June 2013 (page visited on 14 June 2013).
- "Lausanne. A city to discover with public transport", brochure edited by Lausanne Tourisme, 2013.
- (in French) "Sur les pas de Guido Cocchi", Allez savoir !, no. 56, January 2014, p. 61. On-line Archived 2 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Formerly known as Collège propédeutique.
- In addition to that, the UNIL also has campuses in Lausanne (campus of the University Hospital of Lausanne), Épalinges (Center for Immunity and Infection Lausanne) and Prilly (psychiatric hospital).
- Ythier, Mathilde (26 May 2014). "Napoleome : le projet de séquençage du chêne de Napoléon, emblème vivant du campus de l'UNIL - News". news.unil.ch (in French). University of Lausanne. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- Ledford, Heidi (22 June 2017). "Ancient oak's youthful genome surprises biologists". Nature. 546 (7659): 460–460. doi:10.1038/546460a.
- (in French) "UNIL : une architecture emblématique pour fédérer l'administration du sport, la formation et la recherche de pointe", www.unil.ch, 28 October 2013 (page visited on 28 October 2013).
- Nicolas Dufour, "La RTS a des vues sur le campus lausannois", Le Temps, Saturday 15 June 2013 (page visited on 29 June 2013).
- "Vers un transfert des activités de la RTS à Lausanne sur le site de l'EPFL", www.rts.ch, 17 December 2013 (page visited on 17 December 2013 ).
- Center for Biomedical Imaging (page visited on 2 October 2011).
- Boutique de l'UNIL, www.unil.ch (page visited on 16 September 2013).
- Boutique de l'EPFL, www.epfl.ch (page visited on 16 September 2013).
- (in French) Jean-Philippe Leresche, Frédéric Joye-Cagnard, Martin Benninghoff and Raphaël Ramuz, Gouverner les universités. L'exemple de la coordination Genève-Lausanne (1990-2010), Presses polytechniques et universitaires romandes, 2012 (ISBN 9782880749316).
- (in French) Nadja Maillard, L'Université de Lausanne à Dorigny, Éditions Infolio, 488 pages, 2013 (ISBN 978-2-88474-280-1).
- List of universities in Switzerland
- Education in Switzerland
- Science and technology in Switzerland
- Health Valley
- Campus Biotech
- (in French) Page on the UNIL website
- (in English) Page on the EPFL website
- (in French) Site of the UNIL for the 40th anniversary of the Dorigny campus
- (in French) Infography (Le Temps)