Lava Lake (Oregon)
View east across the lake
|Location||Deschutes County, Oregon|
|Primary inflows||seeps and springs|
|Primary outflows||none usually but some to Little Lava Lake during high water|
|Catchment area||8 square miles (21 km2)|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||368 acres (149 ha)|
|Average depth||20 feet (6.1 m)|
|Max. depth||34 feet (10 m)|
|Water volume||7,200 acre feet (8,900,000 m3)|
|Residence time||1.3 years|
|Shore length1||3.3 miles (5.3 km)|
|Surface elevation||4,740 feet (1,440 m)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Lava Lake lies in the Cascade Range about 25 miles (40 km) west-southwest of Bend in the U.S. state of Oregon. It is a close neighbor of Little Lava Lake, from which it is separated by solidified lava. Lava Lake is at an elevation of 4,740 feet (1,440 m) in the Deschutes National Forest. The lake covers 368 acres (149 ha) to an average depth of 20 feet (6.1 m).
Lava Lake, Little Lava Lake, and other nearby lakes formed after lava flows from Mount Bachelor altered drainage patterns in the area. Solidified lava flows are visible along the shorelines of both lakes, and the volcanic peaks Broken Top and South Sister can be seen to the north.
A United States Forest Service campground and a private resort are near the lake, and Little Lava Lake also has campsites. Amenities around the lake include parking areas, two boat ramps, and a fish cleaning station.
- Johnson, Daniel M.; Petersen, Richard R.; Lycan, D. Richard; Sweet, James W.; Neuhaus, Mark E., and Schaedel, Andrew L. (1985). Atlas of Oregon Lakes. Corvallis: Oregon State University Press. p. 218. ISBN 0-87071-343-4.
- "Lava Lake (Deschutes)". Atlas of Oregon Lakes. Portland State University. 1985–2014. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- "Lava Lake". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- "Lava Lake Campground". Public Lands Interpretive Association. 1997–2012. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- Sheehan, Madelynne Diness. Fishing in Oregon: The Complete Oregon Fishing Guide (10th ed.). Scappoose, Oregon: Flying Pencil Publications. p. 229. ISBN 0-916473-15-5.
Media related to Lava Lake (Oregon) at Wikimedia Commons
- Lava Lake Campground – U.S. Forest Service