April 29, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||275 lb (125 kg)|
|High school:||Desire Street Academy (LA)|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 5 / Pick: 142|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
|Player stats at PFR|
Lavar M. Edwards (born April 29, 1990) is an American football defensive end who is currently a free agent. He played college football for Louisiana State University (LSU). He was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
Edwards attended Desire Street Academy high school. He was ranked among one of the top 40 prospects in the state of Louisiana by Rivals.com. During high school, He was named to the Baton Rouge Advocate's Super Dozen.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Baton Rouge, Louisiana||Desire Street Academy||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||300 lb (140 kg)||4.9
(According to Scouts.com)
|Jan 26, 2008|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 23 (TE) Rivals: 42 (DE), 33 (Louisiana)|
He accepted a scholarship to play at Louisiana State University for coach Les Miles's LSU Tigers football team from 2009 to 2012. In his last two years, he played defensive end behind Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 4 in
|35 1⁄2 in
|4.80 s||33.0 in
|119 ft 0 in|
|All values from the NFL Combine |
Edwards was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the fifth round (142th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft, with the intention of playing defensive end in defensive coordinator Jerry Gray's 4-3 defense. As a rookie, he was inactive for nine games, played in 7 contests (one start), while registering 10 tackles, one tackle for loss, one quarterback pressure and a pass defensed.
The next year defensive coordinator Ray Horton was hired to change the defense to a 3-4 alignment, so he was traded to the Dallas Cowboys in exchange for a conditional seventh round pick (not exercised) on August 30, 2014.
Dallas Cowboys (first stint)
Edwards was waived on September 20, 2014, with this pattern repeating two additional times during the season, until being re-signed to the practice squad on November 3. He was placed on the injured reserve list on December 10, finishing with 10 tackles. He was cut on September 6, 2015, to make room for running back Christine Michael.
On September 16, 2015, he was signed by the Chicago Bears. He was released on September 25.
Dallas Cowboys (second stint)
Edwards was claimed off waivers by the Indianapolis Colts on October 19, 2016. He was released by the Colts on December 15, 2016 and was signed to the practice squad. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Colts on January 2, 2017. On September 2, 2017, Edwards was waived by the Colts.
- "Lavar Edwards LSU Tigers profile". lsusports.net.
- "Lavar Edwards LSU Statistics". sports-reference.com/.
- "Russell Shepard, Lavar Edwards Set for Senior Bowl". sportsnola.com. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Lavar Edwards NFL Combine profile
- Wyatt, Jim (August 30, 2014). "Titans cut Maikon Bonani, Moise Fokou; Edwards traded". Tennessean.com. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- MacMahon, Tim (September 20, 2014). "LB Keith Smith moves up to 53-man roster". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Helman, David (September 29, 2015). "Cowboys Sign DE/DT David Irving From Kansas City; Make Practice Squad Move". DallasCowboys.com. Retrieved September 29, 2015.
- Brown, Chris. "Vets Felton and Lawson headline Bills cut to 53". BuffaloBills.com.
- Gantt, Darin. "Panthers claim defensive end Lavar Edwards from the Bills". NBCSports.com.
- "Panthers bring back TE Scott Simonson". Panthers.com. October 17, 2016.
- "Indianapolis Colts Make Roster Moves".
- "Indianapolis Colts Make Roster Moves". Blogs.Colts.com. December 15, 2016.
- "Indianapolis Colts Make Practice Squad Move". Blogs.Colts.com. December 19, 2016.
- "Indianapolis Colts Sign Seven Players to Reserve/Future Contracts". Blogs.Colts.com. January 2, 2017.
- Walker, Andrew (September 2, 2017). "Colts Announce Final 2017 Roster Cuts". Colts.com.
- "Browns add DE Lavar Edwards, OL Geoff Gray and WR Matt Hazel". ClevelandBrowns.com. December 13, 2017.