Laverton railway station, Melbourne
Eastbound view in February 2010
|Location||Railway Avenue, Laverton
|Distance||21.01 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1/2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 July 1886|
At the up end of the station, the tracks diverge. Express Flinders Street trains take the direct double track route to Newport station, while local Laverton-Altona shuttle trains run on the single track route to Newport via Altona. Until June 2015, Geelong and Warrnambool line trains ran through the station, but those services now use the Regional Rail Link route via Wyndham Vale. The Western standard gauge line passes to the west of Platform 1.
In 1968, the former side platform was converted to an island platform, as part of the duplication of the line to Werribee. Control of all signals and points was transferred to the Newport signal box in 1986, although the signal control panel remained within the station building until 2009. It was upgraded to a Premium station in 1998.
In May 2008, the Victorian State Government announced, as part of the 2008/09 State Budget, that Laverton station would receive a $92.6 million upgrade, which would include the building of a third platform. The work included the tripling of one kilometre of existing double track, between the Altona line and the station. The first section of the footbridge was installed in October 2009, and the completed bridge was opened to the public on 9 February 2010.
Platforms & services
- Werribee line: off peak shuttle services to Newport (weekdays only) and all stations services to Werribee (weekends only)
- 400: to Sunshine station (shared with Sita Buslines)
- 411: to Footscray station
- 412: to Footscray station
- 414: to Footscray station
- 415: to Williamstown
- 417: to Laverton North
- 496: to Sanctuary Lakes
- 498: to Hoppers Crossing station
Sita Buslines operates one route to and from Laverton station:
- 400: to Sunshine station (shared with CDC Melbourne)
- Laverton Vicsig
- Laverton Station Rail Geelong
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. March 1987. p. 89.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- "Operations". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. January 1988. p. 22.
- "Rollingstock". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. March 1988. p. 87.
- Laverton Rail Upgrade – Department of Transport, Victorian Government
- "Rail Geelong – Gallery – Dropping it down into place". www.railgeelong.com. Retrieved 23 February 2010.
- "New Footbridge Unveiled at Laverton Station". Media release: Minister for Public Transport. www.premier.vic.gov.au. 9 February 2010. Retrieved 23 February 2010.
- Werribee Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 400 Sunshine - Laverton timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 411 Laverton - Footscray timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 412 Laverton - Footscray timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 414 Laverton - Footscray timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 415 Laverton - Williamstown timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 417 Laverton - Laverton North timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 496 Laverton - Sanctuary Lakes Shopping Centre timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 498 Laverton Station - Hoppers Crossing Station timetable Public Transport Victoria