|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Peñamayor Mountain, at Llaviana.
|Capital||Pola de Laviana|
|• Alcalde||Adrián Barbón Rodríguez (PSOE)|
|• Total||130.99 km2 (50.58 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||1,560 m (5,120 ft)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||33970, 33979, 33980|
|Official language(s)||Bable, Spanish|
Laviana (Asturian: Llaviana) is a municipality in the Autonomous Community of the Principality of Asturias, located in Spain. It is bordered on the north by Bimenes and Nava, on the south by Aller, on the east by Piloña and Sobrescobio, and on the west by San Martín del Rey Aurelio and Mieres.
Mining, agriculture and stock-rearing have been the principal industries since the early 20th century.
Almost everywhere in Asturia you find Prehistorian Signs, also in the region Laviana. Some Hill Forts and Dolmen made in the Bronze Age and in the Iron Age are still visitable (Castro de El Cercu, El Prau in Castiello and La Corona in Boroñes).
Also the Romans built some Bridges along the Rio Nalon Street which are used today.
The name Flaviana was written down first time, in 1115 when the area was bordered to the Monastery "San Vicente de Oviedo".
During the Peninsular War and the Carlism revolution, Laviana was the area for some famous battles.
Coat of arms
- Top left: Coat of Arms from family León > León
- Middle left: Coat of Arms from family León > France
- Bottom left: Coat of Arms from family Quirós
- Top right: Coat of Arms from family León > Holy Roman Empire (Austria)
- Middle right: Coat of Arms from family León > Castile
- Bottom right: Coat of Arms from family Alvarez de las Asturias
- The middle: the Victorycross
Points of interest
- Iglesia (Church) de San Nicolás (from the 12th century)
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señor de Otero
- La Casona de los Menéndez (cheese production)
- also take a look into the website Monumentos
Fiesta and feria
Almost every month, there are some special events in the region, the important dates you find on the website ´´Fiestas´´
- El Condado (Asturian: El Condao)
- Lorio (Llorío)
- Pola de Laviana (Capital)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laviana.|