Lawari Conservation Park
|Lawari Conservation Park|
|Nearest town or city||Hindmarsh Island|
|Established||21 March 2017|
|Area||1.058 km2 (0.4 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
It was proclaimed under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 on 21 March 2017 in respect to a number of parcels of land in the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Nangkita at the eastern end of Hindmarsh Island. The conservation park consists of “two former grazing properties purchased with assistance” from the Australian government’s National Reserve System in 2001 originally for the purpose of extending the Coorong National Park onto Hindmarsh Island. As of April 2017, it covered an area of 1.058 square kilometres (0.408 sq mi).
South Australia has proclaimed a new 1058-hectare conservation park at the eastern end of Hindmarsh Island, within an area of wetlands that support a large number of threatened fish and water bird species. … The Lawari Conservation Park supports three native fauna species of national conservation significance, and a further 30 fauna and one flora species at the state level, including the Far Eastern Curlew and Cape Barren Goose.
The conservation park is located within the boundaries of the Ramsar site known as the Coorong and Lakes Alexandrina and Albert Wetland and shares a boundary with the Coorong National Park on its south-eastern side.
- "National Parks and Wildlife (Lawari Conservation Park) Proclamation 2017". The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia: 927. 21 March 2017. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- Hunter, Ian (19 April 2017). "New conservation park on Hindmarsh Island to protect threatened fish, birds". Government of South Australia. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab for 'Coorong Additions' under heading 'NRS Addition - Gazettal in Progress')". CAPAD 2014. Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). 2014. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Search result(s) for Hindmarsh Island (LOCB) with the following datasets being selected - "Suburbs and Localities", "Hundreds", "NPW and Conservation Reserve Boundaries" and "Ramsar Wetland Reserves"". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- "Coorong National Park". National Reserve System. Department of Environment and Energy, Government of Australia. 19 April 2017. Retrieved 19 April 2017.