Lawlers Gold Mine
|Year of acquisition||2001|
It is operated by Barrick Gold and, since the beginning of 2008, part of its Yilgarn South operation, which consists of Lawlers, the Darlot-Centenary Gold Mine and the Granny Smith Gold Mine. The mine is located in the Norseman-Wiluna Greenstone Belt.
Gold was first discovered in the region in 1892 and the town side of Lawlers, named after Patrick Lawler who found the first gold in a nearby creek, was established. Of the original town of Lawlers, only the old police station is still standing.
The site, was originally owned by Plutonic Resources, a major Australian gold mining and exploration company. Homestake Mining Company purchased Plutonic in April 1998 for more than $1.0 billion, and, in turn, Homestake was acquiered by Barrick Gold at the end of 2001.
|Grade||Cost per ounce|
|2000||101,200 ounces||4.94 g/t||215|
|2001||104,000 ounces||4.45 g/t||407|
|2005||131,000 ounces||0.154 oz/t||324|
|2006||110,000 ounces||0.129 oz/t||494|
|2007||115,000 ounces||0.138 oz/t||515|
Production figures for the Yilgarn South operation, consisting of Darlot, Granny Smith and Lawlers. Yilgarn south belongs to Gold Fields now.
|Cost per ounce|
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, Louthean Media Pty Ltd, Editor: Ross Louthean
- Western Australian Mineral and Petroleum Statistics Digest 2008 Page 34: Principal Mineral and Petroleum Producers - Gold
- Combined figure for the Yilgarn South operation
- Australia Pacific Archived 2010-01-04 at the Wayback Machine. Barrick website, accessed: 1 January 2010
- GHOST TOWNS OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA gold-net.com.au, by Jim Foster, accessed: 3 January 2010
- PLUTONIC RESOURCES LIMITED (PLU) delisted.com.au, accessed: 1 January 2010
- Atlantic Gold NL website Archived 2009-12-12 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 1 January 2009
- Homestake Mining Company - History accessed: 1 January 2009
- MINEDEX website Archived 2008-09-11 at the Wayback Machine. Darlot search result, accessed: 1 January 2010
- Barrick Gold Corporation's Lawlers Gold Mine Certified Under International Cyanide Management Code published: 9 June 2009, accessed: 3 January 2010
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, page 10
- The Australian Mines Handbook: 2003-2004 Edition, page 105
- 2003 Fourth Quarter Report Archived 2010-11-20 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 1 January 2010
- 2004 Fourth Quarter Report Archived 2010-10-28 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 1 January 2010
- Fourth Quarter & Year-End Mine Statistics 2006 Archived 2010-09-22 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 1 January 2010
- Fourth Quarter & Year-End Mine Statistics 2007 Archived 2010-09-22 at the Wayback Machine. accessed: 1 January 2010
- Fourth Quarter & Year-End Mine Statistics 2008[permanent dead link] accessed: 1 January 2010