|Local authority||Leeds City Council|
|Department for Education URN||108055 Tables|
|Headteacher||Mrs Joanna Bell|
|Age||11 to 18|
The school was founded in 1972 and had its first comprehensive intake in 1974. Its predecessors were the Leeds Modern School, a boys' grammar school (founded 1845) attended by Alan Bennett, and Lawnswood High School for Girls, a girls' grammar school (founded 1854), which moved to the current Lawnswood site in 1932.
The sixth form was judged as Grade 2 and "consistently good" in the 2009 Ofsted inspection, but the school as a whole was rated as Grade 4 (Inadequate) for overall effectiveness. and consequently placed into special measures. During an early 2011 Ofsted visit, the school was judged to be "making good progress in all the key areas," and in July 2011 the school was taken out of special measures. In late 2013, Ofsted rated the school Grade 2 (Good) for overall effectiveness.
Notable former pupils
- Alan Bennett, English playwright, screenwriter and author (Leeds Modern School)
- James Brown, founder of Loaded
- Eleanor Catton, 2013 Man Booker Prize winner (foreign exchange)
- Stephen Connolly, classical singer best known as bass in The King's Singers
- John Craven BBC journalist and television presenter (Leeds Modern School)
- Mark Curry, Television presenter.
- Bob Peck, Actor (Leeds Modern School)
- Jodie Aysha, Singer
- Gaynor Faye, Actor
- Ikram Butt, professional rugby league footballer
- Vince Fawcett, professional rugby league footballer
- Noel Whelan, professional Premier League footballer
- Jane Wynne, paediatrician
- Lawnswood School Ofsted Reports
- "Most Improved School Facing Special Measures Bombshell", Yorkshire Post 25 September 2009
- "Alan Bennett: Playwright to return to Leeds school"Yorkshire Evening Post, 12 March 2011
- 'Lawnswood School Website homepage'
- "Jane Margery Wynne". Munk's Roll Volume XII. Royal College of Physicians. Retrieved 3 November 2017.