Lawrence F. Katz
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Lawrence F. Katz|
|Born||1959 (age 56–57)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
|Alma mater||MIT (Ph.D.)
University of California, Berkeley (A.B.)
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Education and career
Along with fellow Harvard colleague Claudia Goldin, who is a "personal as well as research partner", Katz wrote The Race Between Education and Technology in 2008, which argued that the United States became the world’s richest nation thanks to its schools. It was praised as "a monumental achievement that supplies a unified framework for interpreting how the demand and supply of human capital have shaped the distribution of earnings in the U.S. labor market over the twentieth century", and Alan Krueger of Princeton University said that it "represent[ed] the best of what economics has to offer".
Katz has been editor of the Quarterly Journal of Economics since 1991. He also serves as the Principal Investigator for the long-term evaluation of the "Moving to Opportunity", a randomized housing mobility experiment.
He is the co-Scientific Director of J-PAL North America, past President of the Society of Labor Economists, and has been elected a fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Econometric Society, and the Society of Labor Economists. Katz serves on the Panel of Economic Advisers of the Congressional Budget Office as well as on the Boards of the Russell Sage Foundation and the Manpower Demonstration Research Corporation.
- "Biographical Sketch". The President and Fellows of Harvard College. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Jonas, Michael (November 3, 2011). "Learning curve". CommonWealth magazine (Fall 2011/American Dream Special Issue).
- Kotkin, Stephen (October 5, 2008). "Minding the Inequality Gap". New York Times.
- Daron Acemoğlu; David Autor (June 2012). "What Does Human Capital Do? A Review of Goldin and Katz’s The Race between Education and Technology". Journal of Economic Literature 50 (2): 426–463. doi:10.1257/jel.50.2.426.
- "The Race between Education and Technology". Amazon.com. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
|This biography of an American economist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|