After attending the 1944 Bretton Woods conference on behalf of the Scripps-Howard newspapers, Fertig wrote a weekly syndicated column on financial and political matters and continued to do so until the closure of their New York daily, the World Journal Tribune, in 1967. He was on the board of trustees of the Foundation for Economic Education's monthly journal, The Freeman.
Sponsorship of Ludwig von Mises
Fertig, was a member of the NYU board of trustees and was instrumental in supporting his friend Ludwig von Mises when the economist fled Europe to the United States during the rise of the Third Reich. Fertig paid part of Mises' salary himself when Mises began teaching at Fertig's alma mater. Referring to Mises' visiting professorship at NYU, economist Murray Rothbard said: "NYU’s support for Mises was grudging, and only came about because advertising executive and NYU alumnus Lawrence Fertig, an economic journalist and close friend of Mises and Hazlitt, exerted considerable influence at the university."
The Mises Institute, founded in 1982 in honor of Ludwig von Mises, credits Fertig as being instrumental in its creation and development. The institute offers a Lawrence Fertig memorial prize to the author whose work "best advances economic science in the Austrian tradition."
- "Obituary: Lawrence Fertig". New York Times. 28 October 1986. 
- OCLC 173547 and 298022968
- "Preliminary Inventory to the Lawrence Fertig Papers, 1943–1978". Online Archive of California. 
- Buckley, Jr., William F. "Lawrence Fertig, RIP – obituary". National Review. 21 November 1986. 
- "The Foundation for Economic Education, Trustees and Staff, 1946–1996". The Freeman. May 1996. 
- Moss, Laurence S. "Introduction". The Economics of Ludwig von Mises: Toward a Critical Reappraisal. Sheed and Ward, 1976. 
- Rockwell, Jr., Llewellyn H. "Why Austrian Economics Matters". Mises.org. 
- North, Gary. "Mises on Money". LewRockwell.com. 21 January 2002 
- Rothbard, Murray N. Ludwig von Mises: Scholar, Creator, Hero. Mises.org. 1988, 2002. 
- "About the Mises Institute". Mises.org
- "Mises Institute Awards". Mises.org