Lawrence Free State High School
|Lawrence Free State High School|
|4700 Overland Drive 
Lawrence, Kansas, 66049
|School type||Public, High School|
|School board||Board Website|
|School district||USD 497 |
|Superintendent||Rick Doll |
|CEEB Code||171691 |
|Asst Principal||Lisa Boyd, Mike Hill|
|Grades||9 to 12 |
|Athletics conference||Sunflower League|
|Rival||Lawrence High School|
Lawrence Free State High School (FSHS or LFS) is a public secondary school in Lawrence, Kansas, USA operated by Unified School District 497, and serves students of grades 9 to 12. It is one of two public high schools within the city limits of Lawrence. The current enrollment is approximately 1,450 students. The school colors are hunter green and silver. The current principal is Myron Graber.
Lawrence Free State is a member of the Kansas State High School Activities Association and offers a variety of sports programs. Athletic teams compete in the 6A division and are known as the "Firebirds". Extracurricular activities are also offered in the form of performing arts, school publications, and clubs.
The College Board recognized Free State High with the 2007-08 Siemens Award for Advanced Placement participation and performance. One high school in each state receives this honor and a $1,000 grant for math and science education.
The Firebirds compete in the Sunflower League and are classified as a 6A school, the largest classification in Kansas according to the Kansas State High School Activities Association. Throughout its history, Lawrence Free State has won four state championships in various sports. Additionally, a small number of graduates have gone on to participate in Division I, Division II, and Division III athletics.
From the school's inception in 1997 until 2008, football games were played at Haskell Memorial Stadium. Some games were also played at Memorial Stadium at the University of Kansas. They are now, however, played in a home stadium built in 2009-2010, a stadium was built for Lawrence High School as well.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Gymnastics, Girls||3||2009, 2011, 2013|
|Cross Country, Girls||1||2013|
|Winter||Swimming and Diving, Boys||1||2004|
|Track and Field, Girls||2||2013, 2014|
|Swimming and Diving, Girls||2||2009, 2015|
- Christian Ballard, defensive end for the Minnesota Vikings
- Cody Kukuk, baseball player drafted by the Boston Red Sox and convicted criminal
- GNIS for Lawrence Free State High School; USGS; November 3, 2008.
- Lawrence Free State High School - About Us
- USD 497
- USD 497 - Superintendent
- High School CEEB Code Search
- Smith, Benton (August 31, 2007). "Haskell Stadium a house of history". Lawrence Journal-World. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- "State Records & State Champions" (English). Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Christian Ballard" (English). Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- "Free State Firebirds Cody Kukuk, Colin Toalson sign with KU baseball". LJWorld.com. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lawrence Free State High School.|