Lawrence High School (Cedarhurst, New York)
|Lawrence High School|
2 Reilly Road
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Lawrence Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Jennifer Lagnado|
|Enrollment||949 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.0:1|
|Color(s)||Gold and Royal Blue|
Lawrence High School is a four-year public high school located in Cedarhurst on Long Island in New York, United States. It is a part of the Lawrence Public Schools, and is the district's only public high school.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 949 students and 86.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.0:1. There were 437 students (46.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 71 (7.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Work study programs are available as well as an Outward Bound program affiliated with Hofstra University. Students can earn college credit by taking college level courses in conjunction with C.W. Post College and Syracuse University. The New York State Education Commissioner has recognized the library as an "Electronic Doorway Library," one of the first libraries in the state officially designed for its pioneering use of computers and telecommunications technology.
The School mascot is the Golden Tornado. The school colors are Blue and Gold (royal blue and gold). The yearbook is called Lawrencian and the student newspaper is called Mental Pabulum. The school motto is "Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum" (lit. I never retrace my steps, i.e., "No Stepping Back").
Lawrence High School won the 2012 Long Island Class III Football championship by defeating Sayville 21-20, avenging 2011's championship game loss to the same team in a record-setting 78-61 result. Then in November 2013, Lawrence defeated Huntington 49-35 in the Class III LIC for their 2nd back to back title. In November 2014, Lawrence beat Sayville 40-35 and won the 2014 LIC Class III, for the third time making a dynasty and three peat finish.
Lawrence High School won the Long Island Class II Football championship, defeating heavily favored Bellport High School 28-27 at Stony Brook University on November 25, 2006. See Long Island varsity football championship team picture or this link for pictures of the championship team.
Lawrence High School's bowling team won the Conference 5 Title in the 2006 season. Lawrence High School's varsity Gymnastics team also won a conference title in 2003.
The team won the Long Island Football Championships in 1995 and 2006. In 2011 it lost a record setting 78-61 non-overtime championship game to Sayville High School. It was also runner up in the game in 1997, 2007 and 2009.
- Dr. Jennifer M. Lagnado - Principal
- Roseann Epp - Assistant Principal (alumna Lawrence High School Class of 1977)
- Christian Paulino-Assistant Principal
This sectionion needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Lyle Alzado (1949–1992), NFL defensive tackle for Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos.
- Peter Diamond (born 1940) Nobel Laureate, Economics, 2010
- Nick Drahos (born 1918), football player, College Football Hall of Fame 1981, AFL New York Americans; author, photographer, artist, wildlife biologist, conservation educator
- Marc Stuart Dreier (born 1950), lawyer who was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison in 2009 for committing investment fraud using a Ponzi scheme
- Ricky Paull Goldin (born 1965), actor; appeared in numerous television commercials, daytime TV soap operas, starred on Broadway in Grease
- Harrison Greenbaum (born 1986), comedian, magician and Andy Kaufman Award winner
- Mickey Hart (born 1943), Grateful Dead percussionist
- Jon Heyman (born 1961), baseball writer
- Helen Hicks (1911-1974), pro golfer, one of 13 co-founders of LPGA in 1950
- Wendy Kaufman (born 1958), best known for her commercial appearance as Wendy, the Snapple Lady"
- Norm Kent (born 1949), publisher; radio talk show host; attorney, Chairman, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Michael Kimmel (born 1951), author, professor, sociologist, gender activist
- Arthur L. Kopit (born 1937), playwright
- Frederic Lebow (born 1956), screenwriter, While You Were Sleeping
- Gilbert Levine (born 1948), conductor
- Shawn Levy (born 1961) author and critic
- Peggy Lipton (born 1946), actress
- Lisa Lillien (aka Hungry Girl, class of 1983) #1 NY Times Best Selling author, TV personality and founder of the Hungry Girl brand
- Steve Madden (born 1958), shoe designer
- Ira Magaziner (born 1947, class of 1965), aide to President Bill Clinton
- Shane Olivea (born 1981), starting NFL offensive tackle for San Diego Chargers
- Evan Roberts (born 1983), sports radio personality who co-hosts the Joe & Evan show with Joe Benigno
- Phyllis Rose (born 1942, class of 1960) Professor, Wesleyan University; author, Parallel Lives, The Year of Reading Proust
- Connie Russell (1923-1990), singer and actress
- Aaron Russo (born 1943, deceased 2007) (1956–1960) entertainment manager and producer; Emmy Award winner; politician
- Michael Stern (born 1979)
- Robert Swirsky (born 1962), pianist and lecturer
- School data for Lawrence Senior High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Lawrence stuns Bellport, Newsday, November 25, 2006
- Not the size of the dog in the fight, ESPN.com, accessed December 10, 2006
- Kolker, Robert. "The Impersonator; Like Bernie Madoff, Marc Dreier bilked unsuspecting investors out of many millions of dollars. But Dreier did it with flair.", New York (magazine), April 3, 2009. Accessed January 15, 2017. "Marc Dreier seemed born to be a player. The son of a Polish war refugee who settled in Long Island, Dreier was voted most likely to succeed by his graduating class at Lawrence High School in the Five Towns."
- Bessen, Jeff. "Building a lifelong comedy laugh track; Harrison Greenbaum performs stand-up comedy", Long Island Herald, August 18, 2010. Accessed January 15, 2017. "A funny thing really did happen to Woodmere native Harrison Greenroom on his way to a mainstream profession, the Lawrence High School valedictorian and Harvard summa cum laude graduate detoured into stand-up comedy."
- Richter, Allan. "MUSIC; He Found His Muse at Lawrence High School", The New York Times, August 3, 2003. Accessed January 15, 2017. "Although Mr. Hart, 59, was born in Brooklyn, he spent his teenage years in Inwood, attending Lawrence High School"
- Hacohen, Jonathan. "The Jon Heyman Interview: The Writer Behind the Breaking MLB Stories", MLB Reports, January 2, 2012. Accessed January 15, 2017. "Jon Heyman: At Lawrence High School on Long Island I wrote for the school newspaper, The Mental Pabulum, which is a dumb name that I think means 'food for thought'... or something like that."
- Glenn, Rhonda. "On The Early Road With Helen Hicks", USGA, December 26, 2010. Accessed January 15, 2017. "Born into a jovial and athletic family on Feb. 11, 1911, in Cedarhurst, N.Y., Hicks, like many girls, was introduced to golf by her father. Young Helen began playing at the age of 15 and improved rapidly. She won the Metropolitan Women's Golf Association Junior Girls' Championship at the same time she was starring as a basketball player for Lawrence High School."
- Marks, Peter. " AT WORK WITH: Wendy Kaufman; Snapple! Cackle! Pop! A Star Is Born", The New York Times, January 4, 1995. Accessed March 29, 2008. "That Ms. Kaufman would go says as much about her as about her devotion to Snapple. The letter, she said, took her back to the time of her own prom at Lawrence (L.I.) High School, where, dateless, she asked her best platonic male friend to escort her."
- Kelly, Kevin. "THE CURIOUS CAREER OF ARTHUR KOPIT", The Boston Globe, February 22, 1987. Accessed July 10, 2008.
- Bessen, Jeff. "Old acquaintances becoming new friends; Class of 1965 reunites for 50-year reunion at the Woodmere Club", Long Island Herald, June 10, 2015. Accessed January 15, 2017. "While they are not expected to attend the reunion, the class included Ira Magaziner, who was the senior advisor for policy development for President Bill Clinton, and Sir Gilbert Levine, a world renowned conductor who became known as 'the Pope's Maestro' due to his relationship with Pope John Paul II."
- Moskin, Julia. "Hungry Girl Offers a Real Take on Diet Foods", The New York Times, July 13, 2010. Accessed January 15, 2017. "She also describes herself as a nice Jewish girl from Long Island: Lawrence High School, class of 1983."
- Berkman, Johanna. "Steve Madden: Crisis of the Sole", New York (magazine), February 26, 2001. Accessed April 23, 2008.
- Shane Olivea player profile, San Diego Chargers. Accessed June 22, 2007. "honorable mention All-America by USA Today and all-state as senior at Lawrence High School in Cedarhurst, N.Y...."
- Coen, Andrew. " Q&A: WFAN's Evan Roberts' Persistence Paid Off; Former Five Towner and sports radio co-host talks with Patch about his successful career.", Five Towns Patch, July 25, 2011. Accessed January 15, 2017. "Woodmere native Evan Roberts has successful pursued his passion for covering sports since graduating in 2001 by serving as a co-host on WFAN's Midday Show for the last four years.... The Lawrence High School graduate has also hosted shows on Maxim Radio for Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio."
- Solomont, E. B. "The Closing: Michael Stern The Real Deal: The JDS wunderkind on getting kicked out of yeshiva, his latest projects and the truth about Billionaires' Row", The Real Deal (magazine), February 1, 2016. Accessed May 22, 2017. "I got kicked out of a couple of schools and went to four different high schools. After I graduated [Lawrence High School], I basically went right to work."
- "Long Island Journal", New York Times, January 16, 1994, section 13LI, page 3. Accessed March 29, 2008.
- Lawrence High School
- Lawrence Public Schools
- Data for the Lawrence Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- Lawrence High School Varsity Football vs Garden City
- Lawrence High School Varsity Football vs Bellport Long Island Championship 2006
- Lawrence High School Varsity Football Rutgers Cup
- Lawrence High School Wrestling Team vs Garden City on 1-12-07