Lawrence Durning Holt
Lawrence Durning Holt was born in 1882 to Robert Durning Holt and Lawrencina Potter, a daughter of businessmen Richard Potter. Holt was part of a close-knit family that had business interests in the Blue Funnel Shipping Line and its associated companies, such as the Ocean Steam Ship Company. By the 1920s, Holt was a partner in and managing director of the Ocean Steam Ship Company.
According to Heathcote (1971), "for five years, Lawrence Holt persuaded his partners to underwrite the loss on the school and to help with staff and stores. When time and experience were ripe for the development of other Outward Bound schools, the (Outward Bound) Trust was formed to carry on the work."
- Falkus, Malcolm (2016). The Blue Funnel Legend: A History of the Ocean Steam Ship Company, 1865–1973. Springer. p. 144. ISBN 978-1-34911-476-4.
- Conrad, Joseph (2010). Stevens, Harold Ray; Stape, J. H.; Knowles, Owen (eds.). Last Essays. The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Joseph Conrad. 7. Cambridge University Press. p. 231. ISBN 978-0-52119-059-6.
- "List of Lord Mayors of Liverpool" (PDF). Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- Heathcote (1971). "Lawrence Holt". Strive. 1 (10): 3–6.
- "History – Outward Bound International". web.archive.org. 2021-01-28. Retrieved 2021-09-15.