Lawrence Kadoorie, Baron Kadoorie
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007)|
|Born||2 June 1899
|Died||August 25, 1993
|Parent(s)||Laura Mocatta Kadoorie
Sir Elly Kadoorie
|Family||Horace Kadoorie (brother)
Ellis Kadoorie (uncle)
Kadoorie was born to a Mizrahi Jewish family, the older of sons of Laura (née Mocatta) and Sir Elly Kadoorie. His brother, Horace Kadoorie (1902-1995), would become his partner in the family business.
His uncle was Sir Ellis Kadoorie. His family were originally Mizrahi Jews from Baghdad who later migrated to Bombay (Mumbai), India in the mid-eighteenth century. He was educated at Clifton College. Kadoorie and his brother Sir Horace Kadoorie worked for Victor Sassoon during the 1920s and 1930s, and managed his famous Shanghai hotel. They also worked for their father the famous industrialist Sir Elly Kadoorie.
Awards and philanthropy
Kadoorie was made a CBE in 1970, knighted in 1974 and created Baron Kadoorie, of Kowloon in Hong Kong and of the City of Westminster on 22 September 1981 for his philanthropic work throughout the UK and Hong Kong. Kadoorie and his brother, Horace, both received the Magsaysay Award for public service in 1962. They were also conferred Chev.Leg.Hon. by the French government. He also gave money to the Kahal Kadosh Mekor Haim (Holy Community Fountain of Life) in order to finish the construction of the Kadoorie Synagogue for the Anusim/Marranos in Oporto, Portugal.
In 1938, Kadoorie married Muriel Gubbay, the daughter of Hebrew scholar David Sassoon Gubbay. They had two children: a son, Michael Kadoorie (heir to the family business) and a daughter Rita (who married a Scottish accountant). He died in 1993 and is buried in the Jewish Cemetery in Happy Valley, Hong Kong. His widow, Muriel, died in Hong Kong on 5 December 2011.
- Haaretz: "This Day in Jewish History: A WWII Survivor Who Built Hong Kong Dies - Lawrence Kadoorie rose from a Japanese prison camp to restore his family’s fortunes and help forge Hong Kong’s future with China" by David B. Green August 25, 2014
- The London Gazette: . 1 January 1970.
- The London Gazette: . 8 October 1974.
- The London Gazette: . 25 September 1981.
- "HKU Honorary Graduates - Graduate Detail". Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Jewish Times Asia: "Celebration of Life Muriel, The Lady Kadoorie 1915 - 2011" retrieved 30 April 2013
- Independent: "Obituary: Lord Kadoorie" by DEREK DAVIES 26 August 1993
- "Lawrence Kadoorie, 94, Is Dead; A Leader in Hong Kong's Growth - New York Times". The New York Times. 26 August 1993. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
|This business-related Hong Kong biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a life peer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|