|The Right Reverend
|Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Church||Scottish Episcopal Church|
|Other posts||Bishop of Brechin (1975–1990)
Provost of St Paul's Cathedral, Dundee (1971–1975)
10 November 1924 |
Torquay, Devon, United Kingdom
|Education||Torquay Boys' Grammar School|
|Alma mater||King's College London
Kelham Theological College
Lawrence Edward "Ted" Luscombe (born 10 November 1924) is a British Anglican bishop and author. He was Bishop of Brechin from 1975 to 1990, and Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church from 1985 to 1990.
Early life and education
Luscombe served in the Indian Army between 1942 and 1945. On 19 March 1944, he was granted an emergency commission as a second lieutenant. On 1 August 1945, he transferred to the Devonshire Regiment of the British Army with the rank of war substantive lieutenant.
Luscombe was ordained in the Scottish Episcopal Church as a deacon in 1963 and as a priest in 1964. His ecclesiastical career began as a Curate at St Margaret’s, Glasgow after which he was Rector of St Barnabas’, Paisley. From 1971 to 1975 he was Provost of St Paul's Cathedral, Dundee.
In 1975, Luscombe was consecrated a bishop, and appointed the 50th Bishop of Brechin. Ten years later he was additionally elected the Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church, a post he held until his retirement in 1990.
In May 1981, Luscombe was appointed a Serving Brother of the Venerable Order of St John (SBStJ). In January 1986, he was promoted to Officer of the Venerable Order of St John (OStJ). In 1987, he was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws (LLD) by the University of Dundee.
- "Matthew Luscombe, Missionary Bishop", 1992
- "A Seminary of Learning", 1994
- "The Scottish Episcopal Church in the 20th Century", 1996
- "Episcopacy in an Angus Glen", 2003
- "Steps into Freedom", 2004
- "Hands Across the Sea", 2006
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- The London Gazette: . 4 August 1944. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- The London Gazette: . 24 August 1945. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "Lawrence Edward Luscombe". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 29 July 2016. (subscription required)
- ”Scottish Episcopal Clergy, 1689-2000” Bertie, D.M: Edinburgh T & T Clark ISBN 0-567-08746-8
- "Diocese of Brechin".
- The London Gazette: . 11 May 1981. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- The London Gazette: . 30 January 1986. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Brechin
|Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church