Lawrence North High School
|Lawrence North High School|
Aliquam semper a wildcat a wildcat. Once a wildcat always a wildcat.
|7802 North Hague Road
Indianapolis, Indiana, Marion County 46256
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||M S D Lawrence Township|
|Athletics conference||Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference|
Lawrence North High School is one of two high schools serving grades nine through twelve in the Metropolitan School District of Lawrence Township. Lawrence North opened its doors in the fall of 1976. Its first graduating class graduated in 1978.
Lawrence North is recognized by the Indiana Department of Education as a Four-Star School, the highest honor that body can confer. Lawrence North is also a North Central Association accredited school.
In July 2003, LN was accepted into the International Baccalaureate Program and 15 students entered the program during its initial offering in the fall of 2004.
From the class of 2005, 10 of the 588 students in the class received the honor of becoming National Merit Semifinalists, while seven of these advanced to Finalist Status with the National Merit Corporation. Two students were invited to and attended the Aspen Ideas Festival.
In the fall of 2001, the Freshman School was opened to the 650 incoming students of the class of 2005. The goal of the Freshman school was to serve as a "school within a school" and to facilitate the transition between middle school and high school by decreasing class sizes and localizing nearly all freshman-level courses on the second floor of the building.
Lawrence North High School has 18 varsity sports teams, as well as several club and intramural teams. Lawrence North became well known in Indiana high school basketball by winning several state championships. The first of those came in 1989 when the team was led by Eric Montross. They then won the 4A state title three years in a row (2004, 2005 and 2006) led by Greg Oden and Mike Conley, Jr. During the 2004–2005 basketball season, two Lawrence North basketball games were nationally televised: one on INHD and another on ESPN2. In recent years LN has regained its fame by winning multiple state titles in track and wrestling. LNHS is a member of the Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference (MIC).
Lawrence North has extracurricular clubs and activities to go along with academics and athletics. These clubs include:
- Steve Bellamy - Sports and media entrepreneur, founder of The Tennis Channel and The Ski Channel
- Mike Conley, Jr. - Current NBA player for the Memphis Grizzlies
- Nick Hardwick - Former NFL center for the San Diego Chargers; however, Hardwick did not play football at Lawrence North
- Kenny Irwin - Former NASCAR driver (killed in crash July 7, 2000)
- Felisha Johnson - Shot putter from the 2016 Rio Olympics who ranked 14th with a distance of 17.69 m
- Forrest Landis - Former child actor, best known for his role as Mark Baker in Cheaper by the Dozen 1 & 2
- Scott Leonard - Frontman of the music group Rockapella
- Saundra Mitchell - YA Author 
- Christine Montross - Psychiatrist and Writer 
- Eric Montross - Former NBA player for the Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, New Jersey Nets, Philadelphia 76ers, Detroit Pistons and Toronto Raptors
- Greg Oden - Former NBA player for the Miami Heat and Portland Trailblazers. Oden currently plays for the Jiangsu Dragons of the Chinese Basketball Association
- Ashley Spencer - Hurdler from the 2016 Rio Olympics who placed 3rd in the finals of the women´s 400m hurdles with a time of 53.72 seconds
- Tiara Thomas - Singer-songwriter and record producer formerly of Interscope Records / Division 1 Records
- Nolan Watson - First round pick (33rd overall) by the Kansas City Royals in the 2015 MLB Draft.
- Eddie Casiano - International Basketball player and coah. Current Head Coach for the Puerto Rico Men's Senior National Team