|Director of the Selective Service System|
December 4, 2009 – January 20, 2017
|Preceded by||Ernest Garcia (Acting)|
|Succeeded by||Don Benton|
|Born||San Antonio, Texas|
|Alma mater||United States Air Force Academy
Montana State University, Northern
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
Early life and education
Romo grew up in San Antonio and earned his Bachelor of Science degree from the United States Air Force Academy and a Master of Education degree from Montana State University – Northern (formerly Northern Montana College).
Romo served in various assignments for the United States Air Force (USAF) both on active duty and in the reserve. He served as a United States Air Force Academy admissions advisor, in various positions supporting the operation of the Minuteman Missile Weapon and Launch System, in training operations, and as an air transportation officer. Upon retiring from the U.S. Air Force Reserve as a lieutenant colonel, Romo was the USAF Academy liaison officer director for South Texas. He joined the United States Civil Service Commission in 1987, serving from 1987 until 1992 as an item manager for the Directorate of Special Weapons, and from 1992 through 1999, as the transition assistance program specialist at Kelly Air Force Base. He also served as the chairman of Bexar County Veterans Committee and a member of the American Legion, American GI Forum, Association of United States Army, and the Military Officers Association of America. He served as chairman of the San Antonio Commission for Children and Families for the City of San Antonio, Texas.
Immediately prior to being SSS director, he was the soldier and family assistance program manager for the U.S. Army 5th Recruiting Brigade, responsible for the family programs of seven recruiting battalions in a multi-state area. As an integral part of the Team Well-Being Program, he ensured enhanced wellness of soldiers and family members. Further, he was an admissions liaison officer for the United States Air Force Academy, having performed this function for 29 years as both an additional and primary military duty. Since 1988, Romo had served annually on various Congressional service academies nomination selection panels.
Director of the Selective Service System
While director of the Selective Service System, Romo supervised the agency that registers all United States citizens and foreign nationals living in the United States who are male (except prisoners and mental hospital patients and former men who have become women) and who are between 18 and 26 years of age.
- "President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts". Press release. The White House. October 27, 2009. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- Snyder, Sarah (January 21, 2010). "Highlands High School grad joins Obama Administration". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- "Lawrence G. Romo, Director". Selective Service System. December 16, 2009. Archived from the original on 15 September 2012. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- "Who Must Register". Selective Service System. June 29, 2009. Archived from the original on 7 May 2009. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Selective Service System. June 28, 2007. Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- "Director's Biography". Selective Service System. January 20, 2017. Archived from the original on 2015-09-04. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
|Director of the Selective Service System
Adam J. Copp