Lawrence Schimel (born October 16, 1971) is an American science fiction and fantasy writer, translator, and anthologist whose work frequently deals with gay and lesbian themes, and with Jewish themes. He was born in New York, and received his B.A. in Literature from Yale University. Schimel is a member of the National Book Critics Circle and the Academy of American Poets. His is a founding member of the Publishing Triangle, an organization of lesbians and gay men in the publishing industry, which he chaired for two terms (1996–1998). As well as a writer, he is a prolific translator to and from Spanish.
His work has received the Rhysling Award and has twice received the Lambda Literary Award.
Mr. Schimel was a juror for the 2010 James Tiptree, Jr. Award. He is also one of the volunteer judges for the 2011 Lambda Literary Award.
He is Jewish and identifies as a post-Zionist.
- The Drag Queen of Elfland
- His Tongue
- Juicy Mother, (with Sara Rojo Perez) edited by Jennifer Camper, Manic D Press, 2007, ISBN 978-1-933149-20-2
- Fairy Tales for Writers, A Midsummer Night's Press
- First Person Queer, (with Richard Labonté) Arsenal Pulp Press
- Best Date Ever: True Stories That Celebrate Gay Relationships, Alyson
- The Mammoth Book of New Gay Erotica, UK-Constable Robinson/US-Carroll & Graf
- The Future Is Queer, (with Richard Labonté) Arsenal Pulp Press
- Two Boys in Love: Stories of Romance and Desire, Seventh Window
- Pomosexuals: Challenging Assumptions About Gender And Sexuality, (with Carol Queen) Cleis Press
- Switch Hitters: Lesbians Write Gay Male Erotica And Gay Men Write Lesbian Erotica, (With Carol Queen) Cleis Press
- Found Tribe: Jewish Coming Out Stories, Sherman Asher
- Kosher Meat: Gay Jewish Erotica, Sherman Asher
- The Drag Queen of Elfland, Circlet
- Things Invisible to See: Lesbian and Gay Tales of Magic Realism, Circlet
- Vacation in Ibiza, Graphic Novel; Nbm
- Two Hearts Desire: Gay Couples on Their Love, St. Martin's Press
- Boy Meets Boy, St. Martin's Press
- The Mammoth Book of Gay Erotica, Carroll & Graf
- Streets of Blood: Vampire Stories from New York City, Cumberland House
- Fields of Blood: Vampire Stories from the American Heartland, Cumberland House
- Tarot Fantastic, Daw Books
- Camelot Fantastic, Daw Books