Lawrence School, Lovedale
|The Lawrence School, Lovedale|
Lovedale, Tamil Nadu|
|Motto||"NEVER GIVE IN"|
|Established||6 September 1858|
|Founded||Major General Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence|
|Chairman||Keshav N Desiraju|
|Headmaster||K Prabhakaran Nair|
|Number of pupils||700 (approx.)|
The Lawrence School, Lovedale is an educational institution in Lovedale, located near Ootacamund, Tamil Nadu, India, and named for its founder, Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence. Lawrence had mooted the idea about the establishment of a chain of schools to provide education to the children of the deceased and serving soldiers and officers of the British army.
Lawrence was killed in Indian rebellion of 1857. His dream took shape and four such schools, known as Lawrence Asylum, were established: at Sanawar in 1847, and at Mount Abu in 1856, both during his lifetime; then at Lovedale, Ootacamund in 1858 and at Ghora Gali, Murree, in present-day Pakistan in 1860.
Name, emblem and motto
In 1913 the name of the school was changed from Lawrence Asylum to Maj Gen Sir Henry Lawrence Memorial School. On being accorded royal patronage in 1922 the name of the school was changed in 1925 to the Lawrence Memorial Royal Military School. Soon after India's independence, the school was handed over to the civilian authorities of the Government of India in 1949; subsequently the name of the school was changed to The Lawrence School, as it is known today. As the school is located in Lovedale, the school is also simply referred to as "Lovedale".
The school's motto is "Never Give In".
The Lawrence School, Lovedale, campus of 750 acres (750 acres), in Lovedale, is two kilometres (3.7 miles) from Ootacamund. Located at a height of 7200 feet above sea level, it is slightly lower than the Dodabetta peak (altitude: 8650 feet), the highest peak of the Nilgiris mountain range. The school campus is divided into Preparatory School (classes 5 - 6), Junior school (classes 7 - 9) and Senior School (classes 10 - 12). The classrooms and dormitories of the schools are housed in their respective buildings. The girls are housed in the Girls School and go to the respective schools for classes. Adequate facilities exist for sports & extra-curricular activities at the school.
The school is governed by a Board of Governors, appointed by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India, and is managed operationally by the headmaster or headmistress, who is an ex officio member of the Board.
The school's alumni association, the Old Lawrencian Association (OLA), has chapters and branches in several major Indian and international cities.
Alumni are generally referred to as 'OLs'.
- Akshaye Khanna, actor
- Alphonse Putharen, film director, actor
- Amish Tripathi, author
- Anand Mahindra, Chairman & MD, Mahindra Group
- Arun M. Kumar, Chairman and CEO, KPMG in India
- Arundhati Roy, writer
- Fahad Fazil, actor
- Tashi and Nungshi Malik, mountain climbers and first siblings/twins to climb Seven Summits, Adventurers Grand Slam (Last Degree) and Three Poles Challenge. World's Youngest persons and first South Asians to complete the last two. 2015 Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Awardees
- Pratap K. Pothen, actor, film director, producer
- Priya Belliappa, Film director
- Ram Charan, actor
- Sanaya Irani
- Sashi Reddi, serial entrepreneur, venture capitalist, angel investor, technologist, philanthropist
- Vijay Menon, director, actor
- C Vijayakumar, CEO HCL Technologies
- The school is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi.
- Member of IPSC
- Aegis of the HRD Ministry.
- Member of Round Square International
- St. Joseph's Higher Secondary School, Ooty
- St. Joseph's Boys School, Coonoor
- Breeks Memorial School, Ooty
- Hebron School, Ooty
- The Laidlaw Memorial School and Junior College, Ketti, Ooty
- Woodside School, Ooty
- Stanes Hr.Sec. School, Coonoor
- Good Shepherd International School, Ooty
- Lawrence School, Ghora Gali
- The Lawrence School, Sanawar
- Montfort School, Yercaud
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lawrence School (Lovedale).|