Lawyers for Children
Lawyers For Children (LFC) was created in 1984 with the mission to advocate on behalf of children in foster care in New York City. On August 8, 2008 the organization received the American Bar Association's Hodson Award.
Lawyers For Children has represented more than 40,000 foster, adopted, and abused children and young adults. Lawyers For Children participated in the case Nicholson v. Williams, a class action suit, "that forced the NYC Administration for Children’s Services to do case-by-case evaluations to determine if removal is necessary rather than automatic if a parent is a victim of domestic violence." LFC also advocates for immigration rights, mental health services, and child sexual abuse evaluations and education. LFC has been recognized for its best-practices advocacy model in which attorneys are paired with social workers to represent each and every LFC client.
- http://www.lawyersforchildren.org Lawyers For Children Official Site
- http://www.abanet.org/govpub/hodson.html National Award Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division's National Awards
- http://www.abanet.org/govpub/annual.html Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division's National Awards 2008
- Nicholson v. Scoppetta, 116 Fed. Appx. 313, November 29, 2004.
- http://www.lawyersforchildren.org/sitecontent.cfm?page=whatwedo-aidtovictims CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE EVALUATION & EDUCATION PROJECT