Lay It Down (Al Green album)
|Lay It Down|
|Studio album by Al Green|
|Released||May 27, 2008|
|Producer||Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson, James Poyser|
|Al Green chronology|
|Los Angeles Times|||
|The New York Times||(favorable)|
|The Village Voice||(favorable)|
Lay It Down is a studio album by American recording artist Al Green, released May 27, 2008, on Blue Note Records. The album was produced by Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson of The Roots and James Poyser. Four tracks feature guest artists, two with Anthony Hamilton, and one each with John Legend and Corinne Bailey Rae. Lay It Down is Green's first Top 10 Album since 1973, and, according to Metacritic, has received widespread acclaim from critics. "Stay With Me (By the Sea)" won Al Green and John Legend a Grammy award for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group given in 2009.
Lay It Down has received much critical acclaim by media outlets such as Blender, Entertainment Weekly, and Allmusic, to name a few. The album was applauded for bringing in younger producers and giving Green a more youthful sound. Allmusic commented: "What happens when you put that amazing soul-drenched voice in the hands of hip-hop producers ?uestlove and James Poyser, and add a slew of superstar guests? Answer: a killer Al Green soul album".
Blender remarked that Green had "created a natural-sounding album with occasional horns and strings, taking cues directly from [his] best old records". It has also scored a rating of 81/100 from Metacritic, based on 22 critical reviews, indicating "universal acclaim". "Lay It Down" was number 15 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2008.
- "Lay It Down" (featuring Anthony Hamilton)
- "Just for Me"
- "You've Got the Love I Need" (featuring Anthony Hamilton)
- "No One Like You"
- "What More Do You Want from Me"
- "Take Your Time" (featuring Corinne Bailey Rae)
- "Too Much"
- "Stay With Me (By the Sea)" (featuring John Legend)
- "All I Need"
- "I'm Wild About You"
- "Standing in the Rain"
- "Wanna Say" (Bonus track)
- Jurek, Thom (March 27, 2008). Lay It Down - Al Green | AllMusic: Review. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Christgau, Robert (July 2008). Inside Music: Consumer Guide. MSN Music. Archived from the original on 2011-04-10.
- Willman, Chris (March 30, 2008). Lay It Down | Music | EW.com. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Weiss, Jeff (May 27, 2008). A talent confused by his ambitions - Page 2 - Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Chinen, Nate (May 25, 2008). Music - With New Collaborators, Al Green Pays Tribute to Al Green - NYTimes.com. The New York Times. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Wolk, Douglas (May 29, 2008). Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Al Green: Lay It Down. Pitchfork Media. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Rosen, Jody (May 29, 2008). Lay It Down by Al Green | Rolling Stone Music | Music Reviews. Rolling Stone. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Wood, Mikael (June 2008). Al Green, 'Lay It Down' (Blue Note) | SPIN.com. Spin. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Hodgkinson, Will (May 23, 2008). Al Green: Lay It Down review | CD reviews | Music - Times Online. The Times. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Rogers, Matt (May 27, 2008). Al Green's Lay It Down - Page 1 - Music - New York - Village Voice. The Village Voice. Retrieved on 2011-04-10.
- Amazon.com: Lay It Down: Al Green: Music
- Review of Lay It Down by Blender magazine
- Lay It Down on Metacritic
- "The 100 Best Songs of 2008". Rolling Stone (December 25, 2008). Retrieved 2008-12-25